ID:2062376

BYOND Version:510.1335
Operating System:Windows 8 Pro
Web Browser:Chrome 49.0.2623.110
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Ok so I've been having a couple problems with hosting my game. Land of Fire's maps are hand drawn so they're extremely large. The map in question consists of 11 layers of 2816x2816 images, 1 per layer. For some reason when I relog, I am unable to play the game because the CPU for Dream Seeker sky rockets and makes it impossible to do anything. The CPU increase only happens for me though, other players are able to play fine. Zane was having an issue last night where when he first joined the game, he wasn't able to see any of those images, relogging didn't fix it for him either, but clearing his cache and relogging did, and he was able to relog afterwards without any other further problems (except for some reason his maptext outlines were white, while they're supposed to be black). For SulLight however, he cannot load any of the images at all, no matter how many times he relogs or clears his cache. He's not having the maptext outline issue that Zane is having though.

The CPU problem I'm having also started happening single player as well, but it's so random I can't figure out the problem. It feels like it has something to do with timing, or memory or something. It'll be a pretty small chance that the CPU problem DOESN'T happen for me. In the end I was able to stabilize this by creating a one second delay in between each image being created, but the problem still occurs on my much more powerful work PC regardless of the delay or not.
Honestly, I would strongly suggest switching to more images of a smaller size. The problem may well have to do with the fact that DS is simply choking on that image size.

Also, why are they layered together? Are you doing some kind of parallax thing? If so, that sounds pretty awesome; but if not, then you can probably have much better results by combining images that don't need to be separated.
Good point, I'll see what I can do about a safer size cropping them into pieces as well as putting layers together.