ID:2067703

Not a bug
BYOND Version:510.1337
Operating System:Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 49.0.2623.110
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary: The color variable for clients/atoms doesn't seem to work in some cases.

color = rgb(255, 0, 0) // works
color = list(255,0,0, 0,0,0, 0,0,0) // does not work
color = list(6,0,0, 0,5,0, 0,0,7.5, 1.2,1,1.5) // does not work

The third line is taken directly from this post, which I know for a fact worked a while back when I initially tried things out.

Does not matter if the color is being applied to a client or atom, or if it's animated or not.

Expected Results: For color matrices to be applied to the client/atom as intended.

Actual Results: Color matrices do not seem to be applied at all.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time.
In other games? Yes. I've reproduced this issue in three separate projects.
In other user accounts? N/A
On other computers? N/A

When does the problem NOT occur? N/A

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
I didn't investigate this. However, I initially tested this on 510.1334 before upgrading, and it didn't work.

Workarounds: N/A
The second line is incorrect; that should be 1, not 255. The third line should make the icon entirely white, which I don't think you intended.

Are you sure you're in hardware mode? It should work in software mode too, although I've seen weird broken cases on some machines.
In response to Lummox JR
The second line is incorrect; that should be 1, not 255.

Ah, alright.

The third line should make the icon entirely white, which I don't think you intended.

Well it doesn't do that at all from what I can tell, for the mob nor the client. It worked before with no issues however.

Are you sure you're in hardware mode?

Definitely.
Are you using any other software that might be messing with your video driver? The only way for color matrices not to work is for the shader not to install or run correctly.

I'd make sure you close out any other programs that might interfere, maybe reboot, and also make sure your video driver is up to date. If that doesn't work, one thing you can try is installing the Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010). It comes with a program called PIX that you can attach to Dream Seeker and have it monitor output; that should be able to tell you if something is going wrong with the shader that somehow isn't being caught.
In response to Lummox JR
Are you using any other software that might be messing with your video driver? The only way for color matrices not to work is for the shader not to install or run correctly.

I'd make sure you close out any other programs that might interfere, maybe reboot, and also make sure your video driver is up to date.

I doubt anything is messing with my video driver. Pretty much Skype and Puush are the only things running most of the time. I wiped not too long ago so there's not a lot on here.

My video driver is current.

I'll try that stuff when I get on my computer and report back.
I did notice that the DirectX code we use does not count failure to initialize the shader as an absolute failure, so it won't report error messages in that event. If you still can't find the issue, I might try to get you a version that will report the problem. However I would strongly suggest installing the DirectX SDK and trying out PIX, because if you can get info from that it will save us a great deal of back-and-forth.
After restarting my computer and installing the DirectX SDK (June 2010), I'm seemingly having no more problems. I tested the colors in the same projects and got the expected results.

Appreciate the help.
Huh. It probably was just that it needed a reboot, then. Sometimes the system gets into a weird state. I'll have to add some more debugging for fringe cases like this, but anyway I'll go ahead and close the report.
Lummox JR resolved issue (Not a bug)