ID:2069282

Applies to:Website

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Most of the behavior regarding pagerbans is, at the moment, reasonable. In my opinion, it's pretty sensible to have a way to block messages from, e.g., a harasser or to not want to see the messages of a user on the forums you find obnoxious. That's all pretty good.

But being unable to respond to the forum post of someone you have blocked is, in my frank opinion, stupid. Forums are not blog posts: they are meant to be used by the community for discussion and the current approach does a good job at stifling that behavior. If a user has an insight on a another developer's problem, or some design philosophy issue, or they have a critique for another poster's approach or thoughts on a matter, they should not be precluded from discussing them just because the original person no longer wants to see or be informed of posts by a given user. These are things that could benefit the community at large, regardless of the original poster's feelings on a given user, and by stifling the discussion you are in turn being detrimental to the community.

For example, if Doohl were to suddenly find my posts insufferable does that mean I should no longer be able to discuss with the rest of the community about mine and other's contributions on BYOND? Of course, I could make another thread, but why would people use it over the one already being used? And what if I want to remark on another user's ideas or contributions in that original thread? Then I would be SOL.

Likewise, for whatever reason Yut Put has me blocked and so—even though I enjoy writing and playing games, and had things I would like to add to the thread—I was blocked from posting in this thread. Even if Yut Put would gain nothing by my contributions, by preventing himself from doing so at the bare minimum, other developers and game designers could have potentially been helped by my contributions and any discussion that ensued; as it stands now, that is impossible.

I feel this behavior is detrimental to these forums and the way forums should be run, and should be changed. This is not a blog shared by a hundred users, but a forum meant for discussion, and stifling that discussion by a single user's arbitrary whim betrays the purpose of a forum to begin with.
Yeah I do agree Yut Put is pretty cancer. I've never seen someone block people so fast in my life. xD

I wonder what will happen if his game makes it on steam, and people criticize and argue his game, will he ban every single person lol. Are we going to have another Day One: Garry's Incident video by TotalBiscuit? Who knowsssssssssssssss!
+
+
+
Seriously this needs to be added. Yut Put in particular has like 90% of the community blocked for whatever reason and it is annoying not being able to respond just because this idiot has blocked me. Also, it's really bothersome replying to somebody in Developer's help, just to find out that their question has already been answered by people you have blocked(I'm looking at you Ter.)
In response to GreatPirateEra
GreatPirateEra wrote:
Also, it's really bothersome replying to somebody in Developer's help, just to find out that their answer has already been responded by people you blocked..

You can't always have your wine and your wife drunk.
I don't think its reach should have ever extended beyond the Byond Pager.

Nonetheless, supported.
Bump. Need some Lummox answers on this one.
The only way to have an issue free block system for a forum, is to make it granular, you shouldn't mix pm blocking with post blocking. and to make it hide, not block, for posts, allowing the user to expand it if need be.
In response to MrStonedOne
Yep, this is exactly how it should be implemented.
Bumpin' this. It's been a month, and I think it's at least worth discussing.
I see what you mean about the fact that this blocks replies. With the ignore system in place, that's probably no longer really needed.