ID:2084533

I've always wondered about the exact algorithm that goes into debating which games appear more frequent on the popular list and more importantly the position of which they appear.

Does anyone have the formula, or at least some kind of educated guess??

I imagine it would be something like fans & fan-growth-per-month v. downloads & last played.

One thing that really confuses me with this is for example, Avalon, by Taint_thewizard, has 96 fans, was made in Apr 2014, has 486 downloads, and was last played May 11. This game is positioned 35 at the moment in the Popular section.

My game, RP Infinite, however has 189 fans, was made in Jun 2014, has 722 downloads, and is played all day everyday. This game is positioned 55 at the moment in the Popular section and thus receives less attention from it.

I don't consider this a serious problem, however as a supporter of the popular section of the browse games function I would like to see it working correctly.

P.S.: I didn't mean to directly target Taint_thewizard's game, there's many more examples and it's just the one I happened to randomly look at.
It might be based on number of total plays?
Decadence is up there, #9, but hasn't been played in forever.
There's quite a few factors at play, fans, downloads, activity, and some secrets tossed in for good measure.
Number of fans and the frequency of new fans is what I always settled on.
I just want to know why I was tagged in this post.
In response to WorldWideDuelist
What do you even mean by tagged?
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
and some secrets tossed in for good measure.

So bribes basically.

RIP integrity of this website 2016.
Fans and recent fans (under 3-6 months IIRC) are factors in the scoring algorithm. Also factored in is the degree of fan commonality with published games.

It's honestly been a while since I looked at the algorithm, so even though I wrote the query I couldn't tell you off the top of my head exactly how it works.
Konlet wrote:
Avalon, by Taint_thewizard, has 96 fans, was made in Apr 2014

My game, RP Infinite, however has 189 fans, was made in Jun 2014

Early bird gets the worm. Two months sooner and you would be as popular as Bruce Jenner.
In response to Hiead
Hiead wrote:
Early bird gets the worm. Two months sooner and you would be as popular as Bruce Jenner.

Your lack of respect for the science project community disturbs me.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Fans and recent fans (under 3-6 months IIRC) are factors in the scoring algorithm. Also factored in is the degree of fan commonality with published games.

It's honestly been a while since I looked at the algorithm, so even though I wrote the query I couldn't tell you off the top of my head exactly how it works.

Think it's about time to revisit how we display games on the front page.
I disagree. Dragon Universe by Lizard Sphere X is exactly what people need to see at the top of the games list.
Raise your hand if you found BYOND and your first played BYOND game thanks to the front page.
I'm honestly not sure how games like Kaizoku and Shinobi Online are even listed on the front page. These games were a massive failure and never got anywhere. Most importantly, they can't even be played; their download link fails. The algorithm really needs to be changed. There are a couple of games with less than 5 active players featured on the top 20 list - one of them having 0. It'd be more beneficial to give even more spotlight to the most popular games instead of just having a massive list of shitty ones, IMO.
In response to Rotem12
Rotem12 wrote:
Raise your hand if you found BYOND and your first played BYOND game thanks to the front page.

That's exactly why I find it relatively important.
Really? That's interesting, how'd you find BYOND, what did you google?
In response to Rotem12
Rotem12 wrote:

Megaman Multiplayer MMO
In response to Rotem12
Rotem12 wrote:

Naruto MMO was my search, Naruto GOA was my destination.
In response to NetherGames
NetherGames wrote:
Naruto MMO was my search, Naruto GOA was my destination.

Chunin exams were your real test, to train you punched them logssssssss.

You traveled across the land, looking for a fiiiiiiight.
Each Rasengan within your hand, gave off a blue LIIIIIIIIGHTT.

NAR-U-TO! ( Gotta rekt em all ) Its you and me,
AGAINST THE ROGUE SHINOOOOOBIIIIII

OHHHHHH YOU MY BEST FRIEND,
IN A VILLAGE WE MUST DEFEND

I'm done.
I found byond because I was looking for a Bleach mmorpg(2006). Luckly there were like 100 of em in BYOND, also if I recall back then no one were calling em rips rips rips it was just Bleach Games most were very similar with only few changes but there was never talk about rips rips rips or toxicity talk among players like it is now, but thats probably have something to do with how large the communitys were back then compared to now.
Just so you know every single game on BYOND is a Rip of a Rip thats a Rip of a Rip of a Rip of a Rip of a rip of a rip rip rip."MIND BLOWN".
Page: 1 2