Not stupid at all! It actually took me a little bit to understand datums as well. Check out this Dream Tutor article by Lummox Jr for more comprehensive information.
In response to Unwanted4Murder
Unwanted4Murder wrote:
First step, make a global list. This is a list that can be accessed by any proc / verb / whatever at any time, no matter if it's a mob, obj, or anything else. Pretty simple stuff.

var/list/Ranks = new()

So this makes a global list?
Yes.
Ok so, I'm thinking about using this for something else too, lol. I'm trying to make a raid quest thing, where I get a list of participants that participate and the participants all get a reward for beating the boss. I'm thinking something Like, var/list/Participants = new()
and then adding people to the list, that would work right?
I don't actually need this list to save, cuz its one use and done. So I would have to make it like, var/list/Participants = null
After right?
I would suggest making a datum to save information about the raid itself and storing the list in there just for the sake of modularity, but yes, that would work. If it's a persistent online game (which it seems it is) I would also suggest storing some sort of reference to the player (like saving their key) instead of directly saving mobs to it because some odd mob cloning issues can come from saving direct mob references. You can also make a list a tmp file if you're not planning to use it long term.

Quest
var/tmp/Participants
Raid
New()
..()
Participants = new()
Yeah it's something that would only be in use just before and during the raid.
Page: 1 2