Land of Fire

by Pixelcomet
Land of Fire
An atmospheric, anime inspired role playing game.
ID:2100711

Greetings and Salutations, friends! We're back this week with some brand new Ward techniques. Ward's earth elemental techniques are now completed. Their highly defensive earth techniques allow you to change the tides of battle, protecting you and your allies from the potential bullet hell that is "Wards".

Earth

Earth Wall
Create a protective wall of Earth in front of the caster. The wall can be destroyed with sufficient forces. If the wall is created underneath or near a unit, that unit will be displaced up and out of the wall. You can spawn the wall in any direction on yourself by pressing the Self Cast key (Alt).

Earth Dome Prison
Create a barrier of earth around a designated area. The dome blocks outside forces.

Siphoning Mud Trap
Creates an area of mud that deals damage over time. The zone will apply several stacks of slow (up to 70%) over time.

Stone Golem
Creates an allied unit to fight for you. Very slow, pretty durable and hits like a truck.

There's a couple polish that needs to happen. As you can see the player doesn't play any animations yet when using the abilities.

Wards

Wards have a total of 17 Abilities.
4 Neutral Techniques
4 Fire Techniques
4 Lightning Techniques
4 Earth Techniques
and Body Flicker
Each ability is unique in their own right. Not just in how they deal damage, but in how they're deployed, the way some behave on hit, and of course some very cool crowd control.

Body Flicker is tied to your right mouse click button as an access at all times ability, enabling Wards to efficiently kite their opponents while still being able to send a flurry of techniques their way.

As Wards continue to be polished and balanced, bare in mind they are what we've always made them out to be: Mages. They are the spell casters of the LoF universe and a lot of what we do to them will revolve around that.

Next Step

So what next? With the class's abilities implemented, it's time to move on to Rogues. As unique as Wards are, we want Rogues to receive just as good a treatment, and really make their gameplay stand out as what they're meant to be. However what they're meant to be isn't truly set in stone yet, but it will be. While we will be working on Rogues this week, there's still some polish that Wards will be going through to help ensure smoother gameplay, comfort, balance, as well as a lot of efficiency changes to make sure the server can really handle all that spam. We also have to go back and make sure all spell animations are playing, chakra is being consumed, and add cooldowns to abilities. If all goes well, you can expect to see some PvP gameplay next week showing off Wards using their elemental powers against each other.

That's all for this week! Feel free to ask questions, share thoughts, suggestions, ideas, what have you!
Holy shit those are nice earth techs
another great week of great work. keep up with the good work and im loving the new techniques
Alright this is looking astonishing. Was waiting like a little child from monday on and all I can say is: it was worth it.

Your techniques looks sooo good; especially all those little details like the crumbling rocks, the sticky mud under the shoes etc.
From a designing perspective I would only wish for more clarity on the stone golems. I think it might be hard to tell friendly and hostile golems apart from each other.
- Add a little unique ninja symbol on its chest, which represents your village/team/clan.

With all those abilities my only fear is the balancing. This class seems to have the full kit, will be interesting to see what other classes can do. And what their countermeasures are.
An interesting idea might be a shared cooldown between earth jutsus - just throwing random thoughts into the room.

In conclusion this class looks flabbergasting! Unique techniques, top-notch animations (with the exception of 1-2 colors, dont hate me just my opinion) and a great design. I like the different ways you can utilise this class. I can see some people running around, trying to flanking the enemy while wrecking havoc. On the other hand I can also imagine people staying behind and trying to catch others in a prison/ provide support for their team paired with high dps. Especially those stone golems add a nice touch (sidenote: why did you not call them rock golems?)

Im really looking forward to the rogue class!

Once thats done I hope we can look deeper at the game mechanics. I have some interesting ideas. What Id love to see is a system like "Deadman Mode" in Runescape. Where you lose a huge part of your belonging upon death.
Nonetheless, Im pretty sure you have some great systems up your sleeves ;)
Do the hitboxes of the earth wall change to match the degradation of the barrier? The very last frame before it is destroyed makes it look like only very little of the wall is intact to block movement/projectiles.
In response to D4RK3 54B3R
D4RK3 54B3R wrote:
Do the hitboxes of the earth wall change to match the degradation of the barrier? The very last frame before it is destroyed makes it look like only very little of the wall is intact to block movement/projectiles.

Yes it does, I forgot to mention that in the post. The Earth Wall's bounds are a little bit more exaggerated compared to everything else though, but it does get smaller as you destroy it.
So is this gonna be a pvp game or what ? I see some post about being a rp but then I see some pvp elements which are bad ass by the way. So whats the deal homie ?
In response to Stronger.Each.Day
Stronger.Each.Day wrote:
So is this gonna be a pvp game or what ? I see some post about being a rp but then I see some pvp elements which are bad ass by the way. So whats the deal homie ?

Well you see homie it is now a PvP game. An RP server will be launched later after the game is released.
In response to Shellfisch
Shellfisch wrote:
Alright this is looking astonishing. Was waiting like a little child from monday on and all I can say is: it was worth it.

Glad to know people are eagerly awaiting the devlogs. I hope you don't mind me not having replied to your reply yet. You put a lot into it and I'd rather wait until Zane gets a chance to reply to you as he can more accurately.
In response to Shellfisch
Good idea! We'll definitely have to add in some kind of indicator for allied units.

We were also discussing something similar and we've been playing around with perma death/ semi perma death death mechanics. Nothing is really set in stone or worth mentioning at this point.
I'm not really a PVP gamer, nor am I much of an anime fan, but damn that looks good. Keep at it :)
Looks very great. you guys should definitely look into semi perma death mechanics, sounds fun and i'm sure you guys can nail it