If you can get some info on the video cards of everyone who sees it, that might be helpful.
Oh lummox try walking around the map as well. Those problems tend to jump out on different parts of the map too.
UPDATE: I delete my comment as the glitch is still thier after walking around for a bit. I will make a video of the problem to show whats actually happening in a bit.
Whoops, hang on. I hadn't tried this in a DD-DS test and it does show up when hosting in DD. So I can see the bug in play now.

[edit]
If the flashlight is the 2nd item in my inventory, it doesn't actually seem to do a thing to clear up the issue. It just turns on a spotlight around me.
Strange indeed, it goes away for me. Watch in HD

https://youtu.be/XeHPvdxp99g
I noticed in my tests that the light spots appear to have an animation going on, which causes sparkles to appear. I also noticed it's independent of lights; I added a verb to hide the lights and they were still there. Do you know which of your icons have that sparkle effect? It'd help if you could narrow that down so I could try to find something in the debugger.
What does the sparkle look look like? Check this file 'items/key_items.dmi'

Maybe its weather effect so look in weather_day_system.dm you should see the weather effects icons.

Screenshot the sparkle and ill point you to it.
It looks to me as if these turfs are supposed to be showing an image but instead are showing a different image. Can you point out which parts of your code might be responsible for adding/removing images on individual turfs?
For removing maps look in modes.dm line 272.

For loading maps look into dmm_old.dm line 133.
510.1329 seem it doesn't occur at all. If you cant fix it would you be able to modify this version so that SEE_PIXELS works as it should?
Neither of those is showing any use of images that I can see. dmm_old.dm is only using images as temporary appearance placeholders, nothing more, and isn't actually attaching an image to a turf; it's creating an appearance and then adding it to the turf's underlays, which is entirely different.

Is there any code that actually attaches images to turfs?

Is there any particular code associated with Move() or Entered() that might cause an appearance change/update on a turf? (That would explain why the problem goes away when you step on an affected turf.)

Where is the code that handles snow images? The icon I'm seeing is one of the snow icons.
In response to Darker Emerald
Darker Emerald wrote:
510.1329 seem it doesn't occur at all. If you cant fix it would you be able to modify this version so that SEE_PIXELS works as it should?

SEE_PIXELS does work as it should. There was a fairly recent bug fix to it in fact, in which SEE_TURFS behaved differently from SEE_OBJS and SEE_MOBS when SEE_PIXELS was on. So I'm not sure what you're referring to.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Neither of those is showing any use of images that I can see. dmm_old.dm is only using images as temporary appearance placeholders, nothing more, and isn't actually attaching an image to a turf; it's creating an appearance and then adding it to the turf's underlays, which is entirely different.

There are no images that attach to turfs as far as creating appearances and adding it to underlays that I know of.

Is there any code that actually attaches images to turfs?

Is there any particular code associated with Move() or Entered() that might cause an appearance change/update on a turf? (That would explain why the problem goes away when you step on an affected turf.)
light_n_darkness.dm line 150 is where the move proc is only in use and trigger.dm line 2 is where turf Entered is in use.

Where is the code that handles snow images? The icon I'm seeing is one of the snow icons.

weather_day.dm line 98 handles the snow season and weather_day_system.dm line 394 handles the summer season.

The weather system works by attaching images to areas this is also how it handles the lights and darkness for outside areas by attaching a light to the area.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Darker Emerald wrote:

SEE_PIXELS does work as it should. There was a fairly recent bug fix to it in fact, in which SEE_TURFS behaved differently from SEE_OBJS and SEE_MOBS when SEE_PIXELS was on. So I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Sometimes when I walk a certain distance big images disappear when they should not. Sometimes can see obj through walls.
In response to Darker Emerald
Darker Emerald wrote:
Sometimes when I walk a certain distance big images disappear when they should not. Sometimes can see obj through walls.

If it's a big-icon obj, then with SEE_PIXELS it should be visible on any visible turf. The blackness that SEE_PIXELS adds will cover up all the unseen turfs, except that the blackness is on plane 0--if you have any icons on a higher plane, it won't cover them.

For big-icon objects appearing and disappearing, I'd need a test case for that. The last such case I was aware of was fixed a few releases back.

I'll take a further look at the code and see what I can find; and I'll also see if I can track down where the snow overlay (or image) is coming from.
Actually you have the source so you could just compile that with version 510.1329 look around in the lobby and walk around on fortress 2 map to see what I'm talking about if you have no luck fixing the weird graphics glitch for the beta.
Well no, 510.1329 is pretty badly broken in a couple of ways, so it's not going to yield any useful info. 1328 was where the big-icon change went in, and it took several versions to get right.

Are you manipulating turf areas at all? The turfs that are messed up are showing a weather overlay for sure (I saw lightning, and also at times it went to rain), but when running only the client in the debugger it's difficult for me to get info on what the areas are supposed to be.

The borked turfs are also following a very specific pattern, and always appear in the same place for me:

#  

# #

#

# #

#
Those are the locations of the trees from the previous map that was loaded on trench warfare.
Ah, that's useful info. Thanks. Might help me narrow things down a little.
Yeah the weather stuff is at random cause its a dyanmic weather system so sometimes it will be snow, sometimes it will be summer rain. But all of that is handled with areas by adding/removing images to them.

I've tried it all to debug these weird glitched spots by clearing everything to all areas in the world and even changing the areas in those spots to new ones, creating new turfs but the glitch will always be there regardless of what you do to until you move a light obj that covers the entire square area with 255 alpha into the location.

Page: 1 2 3