Land of Fire

by Pixelcomet
Land of Fire
An atmospheric, anime inspired role playing game.
ID:2108530

Hello LoF followers, really late devlog this week! Extremely sorry, but there was a reason for this! Last night we made a decision to keep the server online 24/7 (privately) to not only allow the team to test when they can, but also allow me to grab data whenever I can and optimize accordingly (and I did!) From this morning, the server now runs 3.3x more efficiently. There will always be more room for improvement, but right now I like how it runs. There's a couple things I have to speed up in effect to this change such as movement and gravity but that will be taken care of.

Alright, so let's get right to it! Rogues are pretty much finished! With their entire skill set being completed, minus 1 skill and a lot of revision they went through this week, they're very much playable. The technique that's missing is their ability to summon clones, which is a little harder to complete than it sounds. When Rogues have an active clone around, it alters their abilities, adding special/extra moves. This can be completed this week!

So this week, Rogue abilities were changed quite a bit, not only in ability, but art as well (very flashy).

Slice N Dice

I wanted to make sure I share this first! Slice N Dice targets nearby enemies, up to 5, dealing damage twice to each.

Dashing

Rogues now have a built in dashing mechanic that works outside of Stealth.

Blind Side

Blind Side has been updated to knockdown opponents you run into. This is only performed in Stealth, and will cancel your stealth upon impact.

Cleave

Cleave effect has been updated.

Achilles Heel

Perform a sweeping kick that knocks down enemies in front of you.

Killing Blow

This technique only works on downed enemies. Deals extra damage.

Impale

Strike through your enemies, dealing piercing damage.

Zane has been slaving away at maps, which will begin being added into the game this week as well. And I really can't wait to run around in these maps!

That's the town square where I'll be sitting AFK throughout the day. For anyone who didn't get the RO reference, GMs used to sit AFK in town square constantly when the game was active.

This is another section of the town. The benefits from hand drawn maps are really starting to show. There's a lot of detail that can be put into any little aspect. However, we're going to continue using our in game map editor to add in a lot of the environment as well. We feel like both methods will work really well together.

There's a few things that need to be sorted out. The control scheme turned out to be a bit more complicated than anticipated, but hopefully we'll be able to come up with something later this week. Rogues will continue to be worked on before we move onto building the game and expanding LoF's world.

With the new server improvements, I've added lerping to the live server, allowing smooth transitions in between movements. This still needs some more tweaking but I absolutely love how well everything moves during live play compared to before!

BTW, we've become a lot more active on Twitter, so if you haven't already followed us, you can catch what we're working on throughout the week there.
https://twitter.com/LandOfFireGame

Here's one more GIFt for the road. With the recent server optimizations, the amount of active AI running around has increased by miles!

Which means when I'm just chilling AFK in the town center and feel like spawning a bunch of mobs for a quick event, everything will turn out A-OK.

Can't wait to share what we'll have next week with you guys! See you then!
Awesome. :]
Ishuri wrote:
That's the town square where I'll be sitting AFK throughout the day. For anyone who didn't get the RO reference, GMs used to sit AFK in town square constantly when the game was active.

See you in Prontera!

That fountain though...
Looking pretty sick guys,keep up the work.
As usual, fantastic work.

Dealbreaker tho, is Slice N Dice more Omnislash or more Alpha strike? Cmon it's gotta be Omnislash, it hits targets more than once.
originally it was suppose to work only on one target, hitting that target twice before appearing anywhere near them. i guess it turned into alpha strike xD
We in here!
Since I missed out last weeks feedback due to a network error I'll just make this one a bit longer.

Looks impressive as always - I like the high standard you set for yourself and it really shows in the results.

As for rogues I would like a bit more situational skills. Most of your skill set is rewarding an offensive - rush playstyle. I would like them to also have some elements of teamplay

What I'm suggesting;

Achilles Heel: Adds a slow

Cleave: A high pressure hit causes your targets Chakra points to disfunction for a short period. - Opponents cant cast jutsus for 1.5 seconds

Reflecting blade: channel Chakra into your blade to reflect the next incoming projectile (runs out after 1.5 seconds if no projectile)
-> would add the option to save a teammate thats in a pinch.

Healing blade: the next 5 hits heal close allys by the amount of damage you deal. (5 hits or 3 seconds if that condition isn't met)

Fancy feet: Toggle this Jutsu to increase your movespeed by 10%. Costs Chakra/sec

Blade Prison: Use all of your remaining chakra to create a prison of blades in front of you (5 giant swords falling from the sky into the ground, trapping enemys for 3 seconds).

// Are Katanas only restricted to rogue?//
I would prefer if any class can build as it wants. You could give Rogues an exlussive mastery that increases their damage with Katanas.

Hope I could give you some unique ideas!
Was a great devlog for my birthday :)

If you need any help whatsoever - just hit me up. I got quite attached to this game over the past couple of months.

Ps. Will you be able to throw shuriken/kunais with rogues? Are there any specific skills for the class?
bruh
@Rushnut: It was originally intended to be a dash through the enemy and back again dealing damage twice. But since then it kinda evolved into more of a alpha strike. Not sure where Omnislash is from, Dota?

We're working on adding more depth to the class without overloading it with a ton of CC. Rogues will prioritize mobility and for the most part lean more towards High DPS or single target bursting. So in a sense we're walking a very fine thread with balancing this particular class.

We showed use of secondary items in a previous devlog. Secondary items will basically be your secondary sword or throwing equipment Etc.

Weapons are not restricted to classes. However As a ward you naturally wont have access to rogue skills so i feel it sort've balances itself out. The fact that we're using clans in place of free form development means that you're given a little less freedom as players.

It's nice that you mention it because we intend to add another layer onto the parrying system we already have and allow for deflecting projectiles which is something fun we could look forward to playing with.

Oh and Happy birthday.
nice ishuri another nice week of work shown. keep up with the good work
In response to Pixelcomet
Pixelcomet wrote:
@Rushnut: It was originally intended to be a dash through the enemy and back again dealing damage twice. But since then it kinda evolved into more of a alpha strike. Not sure where Omnislash is from, Dota?

Yes it is. Also fuck your game boycott SHIT GAME OMNI BETTER
All looks gorgeous, you guys should animate the town (like fountain etc). i'm sure the talented artist will be able to nail it
Are all attacks interruptible and counter-able?
At this point skills have no way of being interrupted after being cast(the animation starts) But before this happens they can be interrupted. There's a very brief hit stun when you take damage.
I want to see this genjutsu class >.>

personally, I like the class system, but I really was expecting a free form kind of character.

Personally, I hope the game gives us more diversity, I want to see an abundance of skills in the game, but just because they're able to be chosen/picked, doesn't mean I have to get them..

Its like there are 30 skills to choose from but you can only pick 10 from active skill slots and then passives etc etc..

That way you not forced to have skills, but you can at least mix and match the way you want to play..

So for example. just because i'm a rogue and jake (imaginery) is a rogue, dont mean we have to play rogue with the exact same skills, he could focus on bleed damage where as, I could focus on more stealth based, crowd control...

Like give people an option of whether they want to focus more on a specific Proficiency and passives to match that proficiency. I don't care for a job change system, but if you add in a proficiency system then people can pick what they want to focus on and gain passives based on that proficiency in your skill tree to choose from.

That would help diversify each class, but will also require more work and balancing.

For example, If I want blindside and stealth as a rogue, but jake wants the same moves but he's focussing on bleeds; He'd be free to take blindside and stealth as skills, but my stealth would have passives to increase the range of my stealth and the effectiveness, whereas, jake would only get the bleeding and condition based passives, so his stealth would basically be default.

Uhm I think i should've mentioned this but there is some freedom given to classes. You don't have to all get the same exact skills. All the rogue skills are fairly generic and act as Tier 1 abilities that are for those people starting out.

We plan to build ontop of this foundation we're setting and given each of these abilities their own line of upgrades via passives(we showed our passive tree in a previous dev log) What this means is that everyone start the same but as you develop your character more you start to branch off into specialties.
Job/Class changes? Other Elements that can be obtained through the skill trees as well?
You won't be able to change from a ward to a rogue if that's what you're asking. Yeah, more abilities are gained through the skill tree.
You should check out Moon Hunters, and try to implement character traits that affect the way characters interact with you. Add another minor dynamic to the game, and some more depth.
Page: 1 2