ID:2116483

Version 511 is here! As expected, the very first release hit a few nasty bumps, but the second one (511.1349) is doing much better, so hook up your gamepad and go report your setup info in the great big gamepad setup thread. Already I've gotten some useful feedback that will help me plan for future changes to the mapping setup.

Pixel gliding has been a mixed bag, which was another easy prediction. Any time I mess with the gliding system, something goes awry. In 1348 it had some huge problems, but now its issues appear to have at least partly settled down. I'll work on this some more and try to get it right, because it's kind of important to high-client-FPS projects. If you're trying out 511 and seeing problems in your pixel-movement projects, my advice for now is to keep testing, and of course any new demos on the issue would be helpful.

The first two 511 builds didn't include webclient support for any of the new features. This is something I want to rectify over the next few releases, so, I think it's a good idea to start on that soon. Gamepad support for the webclient will probably come last, but pixel_w and client FPS should be easy to throw in. I'll have to add pixel glides for the client FPS stuff too, which is even more incentive (not that I needed it) to get the pixel gliding right. Parallel animations will be a big deal also, so I have to get to those too.

I've had a lively discussion going with MrStonedOne on the var access improvement thread. The experimental new feature so far appears to be a wash, but he has some ideas that may speed it up and make it a win. And if he's right about that, then I can probably adapt the same speedup he's suggesting--namely, a semantic change that should in theory force the compiler to use a more efficient instruction--to similar areas of the code, causing a further performance increase across the board. This is potentially big, so I want to get to running tests on this soon also.

The Ghostbusters reboot is out today, so the betting pool is closed. There's time to win a Nobel Prize, though, if you can figure out the appeal of Leslie Jones screaming for 117 minutes. Save yourself the ticket and support BYOND instead; it'll make you a better person, and when viewer reviews finally overcome the early flood of dishonest critic reviews--props to Roeper for not selling out or going for cheap virtue-signaling--you can look back and count yourself lucky. I don't think Richard Roeper ever used BYOND, but maybe he will after he sees Space Station 13: The Movie. Come on, guys, somebody make that happen. There have to be some fellow novelists among the SS13 crowd, too; think about what a rich storyverse you guys have to work with. Somebody could write a whole series on it.

That's all for this week. Keep the reports coming and get your summer on.
Lummox JR wrote:
I've had a lively discussion going with MrStonedOne on the var access improvement thread. The experimental new feature so far appears to be a wash, but he has some ideas that may speed it up and make it a win. And if he's right about that, then I can probably adapt the same speedup he's suggesting--namely, a semantic change that should in theory force the compiler to use a more efficient instruction--to similar areas of the code, causing a further performance increase across the board. This is potentially big, so I want to get to running tests on this soon also.

This makes me happy.
Yeah, Gamepad Support is finicky on Google Chrome anyway. Not even sure if they fixed that issue still to this day.
In response to Kozuma3
Makes me happy as well =)
I am so absolutely eager to test out the game pad support! Stay tuned in the mega thread for some results!
please never suggest an ss13 movie again
I do not need to be associated with tajarans in any way
In response to Nernums
I was thinking more of non-furry SS13. A furry SS13 movie would probably be the work of a very different kind of studio.
they're the only ones with deep lore, nobody else has to pull twenty mile stretches to force their fetish content in
to force their fetish content in