ID:2125793

BYOND Version:510
Operating System:Windows 8 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 51.0.2704.103
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Sometimes, after automated server reboots, Dreamseeker and the webclient will have odd delays or skips when updating the map. Here's a webm that shows what I mean;

http://neus-projects.net/etc/frameskip.webm

I almost called this topic 'frame skips' but it's not actually skipping any frames. The updates to the map are just very delayed; if you move multiple times between updates, the moving object will simply jump to its actual location. If it only moves one tile in that time, it will draw the moving animation and gliding effect normally, after a delay.

Some more details:
1) The game is hosted on a Windows Server via dreamdaemon.
2) CPU and memory usage on this shell server is low even while this occurs.
3) .ping returns relatively normal values, 0.05 ~ 0.1 seconds.
4) The issue is persistent but will be corrected if dreamdaemon is hard rebooted. As in, game shut down, close dreamdaemon, reopen new dreamdaemon, host again.
5) The reboot is done through world.Reboot() on a set schedule.
6) Both Dreamseeker and the webclient experience the same issue.
7) This issue occurs for everyone connected to the server.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Sadly, I can't give any, since it seems to happen on its own after a reboot.

Expected Results:
Map updates happen at the same rate they always do, even through reboots.

Actual Results:
They sometimes become jittery and delayed after a reboot.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Regularly.
In other games? Haven't tested.
In other user accounts? Yes.
On other computers? Everyone who connects to the game experiences this issue.

When does the problem NOT occur?
Upon starting a fresh dreamdaemon and before the first reboot this doesn't seem to occur.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
Don't think I can feasibly test this but it wasn't an issue that occurred until the last public release, at least.

Workarounds:
Restart dream daemon.
Can you tell me if restarting the client fixes it, or if it shows up for clients who connected after the reboot that were never there during the previous "round".
Restarting dreamseeker doesn't do anything to fix it, no. Restarting dreamdaemon is the only thing that I've found which fixes it.

As for the second question, it affects everyone who connects when it occurs. I'm often not on the server for the duration of several reboots, but it will occur for me when I connect after I've been told it's happening, for instance.
Well then I'm stumped.
What does the Options & Messages window say? It's possible that DS, due to the latency during the reboot, triggered the ".configure delay" code that these days takes an awful lot to get going.

However, it seems like closing DS and starting a new DS session would fix the problem.
Sorry for the wait.

Welcome BYOND! (5.0 Public Version 510.1347)
Logging in...connected
Logged in as Devourer Of Souls.
Connecting to byond://BYOND.world.1273229347...connected

Doesn't seem that options and messages has any useful information. I don't get this issue if I host myself, only on the Windows server we use. Restarting dreamseeker has no effect, either.
What are the chances this is caused by a memory leak or the game getting a certain defective process in the coding that's causing some sort of loop or whatever?

The map updating becomes slow because the game may be busy trying to solve something?

Also bump, yeah. Halp. I love SL2.
Sorry to bump this without new information to offer but it's still an issue in the 511.1360 beta. If you connect to the server at byond://BYOND.world.1401995312##webid=e7212699a9eca2208372d5 08b75a3dc3e515023285bdeb2c you can see it in action for yourself. Since I have difficulty replicating this offline, partially just due to the length of time it can take to trigger, I'm not sure if having the source will do anything useful.

I could, however, inquire if I could give you access to the shell server that dreamdaemon is running on and see if you can pull any useful information off of that. I could also wait and retest it in the next BYOND beta, since based on the announcements post, it seems like it has some large internal changes, although I'm not sure if that'd help this specific issue.