ID:2130267

One of the last hurdles in getting my current project completely off the ground is designing the world. But progress in this department is stifled, as we do not have a story/plot set in stone.

So how should this be handled -- or rather, how would you handle it?

I am very curious as to how you guys [and girls] would go about creating your game without a story line or plot.

Much simpler games such as Super Mario Bros. can get away with not having to explain the elements of their world. I'm not sure this is as true for small-time RPGs to MMORPGs. This is because, from my perspective, I think in order to reel in core players, you must have something for them to identify with, something to engage in. Throwing your players into a relatively large world without even the smallest hint or explanation as to the universe itself, I think ... can be a bit much.

So what are your thoughts on this subject? Are stories/plots important in the development of a larger-scaled game, or can you get away with worrying about tying the game to story elements afterwards? If the latter is true, how would you build a coherent, flowing world with no story/plot guidelines?

Any and all sharing is welcome, thanks for reading.
Honestly, I don't believe a story is needed, initially and can be developed after main elements are implemented, but having some sort of theme is generally good and will help you spark ideas for your story. Generally it would just depend on what you want to do, but I do think it would be better to design the environment with a story in mind so you can implement key areas and events within the story, if provided no story just make a list of features/areas you would like to develop. Like dungeons? What kind of dungeons? Mazes? Where do they lead? What are the obstacles detouring people from certains areas?, ETC.
I am very curious as to how you guys [and girls] would go about creating your game without a story line or plot.

It would be more of a challenge to create a game without a story, because so much of the way you create a game draws directly from a story.

The most obvious example being art work. In the game bloodborne (or dankborne) There is a stat called insight, and in the story some characters took the word insight quite literally wanting tto be granted eyes on the inside of their head/on their brains so that they could gain insight and be that much closer(you understand them better/know more about them) to the great ones. How you get insight is by using an item called madman's knowledge.

The image for madmans knowledge is this

Insight causes you to go insane (Hence madman's knowledge)

Gain enough insight and you see things like a madman :P. The theme of eyeballs and brains is in the artwork and enemies.I mean they really go nuts with the theme

^pig with multiple eyeballs

^ great one thats basically a brain with eyesballs on it

Then there are dead horses scattered through out yharnam the horses seem to be lacking eyeballs. They even have some enemies grab attack that basically rips out your eyes.

And look at this!!

This item is a pebble that looks like an eye ball xD

Sooo im off topic :P.

So what are your thoughts on this subject? Are stories/plots important in the development of a larger-scaled game, or can you get away with worrying about tying the game to story elements afterwards?

I think they are important but i do believe not every game needs story lore or anything like that. They help ripen the world you're creating but arent necessary to make your game juicy and delicious. Ive had lots of fun playing minesweeper until i realized how much of a nerd i am.
bloodborne fails in the story department, in my opinion at least. you legit have to go out of your way and play the game multiple times just to find hints at what the games story is