ID:2140081

Applies to:Dream Maker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Hi, I've seen this topic: http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=2127016
in which compile time was dicussed and people believe that larger icons also affect compile time.

I'd like to make this feature request asking that the "Generating object tree" part of compiling only happens when the user opens his map file. My game has a lot a lot of objects/turfs and whenever I compile, I don't nescessarily want to map, and so I'd like to have it so when it compiles, it doesn't generate the object tree (Or maybe just the first time a user compiles). I understand generating the object tree is needed to map, so it should only do it when I double click the map file.

This would decrease compile time by a LOT for me as it's the "Generating object tree" that takes the most time.
The object tree isn't only used for mapping, it's actually used in compiling the game.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
The object tree isn't only used for mapping, it's actually used in compiling the game.

True that, but I'm sure there could be an efficient way of generating them (without too much data for ex: without the icons appearing or something). Also I came up with the conclusion that object tree was only needed for mapping because Lummox said that in the topic I linked in my first post :

Lummox wrote:
Not really; DM generates the object tree automatically so they can do mapping. But I think there's something to be said for maybe making deferral of the tree a feature request.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:

Nope, the object tree this is talking about, is the object tab of DM. nothing it does here is needed for compiling the game, hence why it doesn't do it in dm.exe

In fact, if you have DD ready and waiting for the compile to end, you can safely hit go after the status bar changes from compiling to generating object tree, i already checked, the rsc and the dmb are not modified during that stage.
In response to MrStonedOne
MrStonedOne wrote:
Nadrew wrote:

Nope, the object tree this is talking about, is the object tab of DM. nothing it does here is needed for compiling the game, hence why it doesn't do it in dm.exe

In fact, if you have DD ready and waiting for the compile to end, you can safely hit go after the status bar changes from compiling to generating object tree, i already checked, the rsc and the dmb are not modified during that stage.

Well that's good to hear!! :O

Then it should be made that you can Run the game right after as well. If DD allows you to host right away and no changes happen to the rsc/dmb then I'm pretty sure this is feasible. Honestly it would save a lot of time! (atleast to me)

Either that or as I suggested earlier, generating the tab only when a user wants to open a map file and edit it.
In response to Kidpaddle45
"Run" as in the run option in the DreamMaker tabs? you can mimic that (opening with seeker) by just double clicking the produced dmb.

so when you see the "Generating Object Tree" just alt+tab, go to your folder where the game is (you should already in it to be fair) and double click the dmb (just making sure to check it's creation date so you know it's ready)
Yeah, thats a very good alternative, i got the idea after reading Mr Stone One's reply explaining that the dmb/rsc files arent changed.

I'm just hoping this could also be added to dream maker. I don't see why generating the object tree tab is needed everytime we compile. Should only be generated when we need the map.

Anyways, thank you all for the help :)