ID:21405

Notice: Serious post.

From this thread.

What? This isn't right. Okay, the original poster's second comment did come off rather awkward with the whole "your probably gona lose a paying byond memeber" deal, but it very well could happen. Forgetting to close the Byond pager before updating could be a silly mistake to some (I've done it before), but at least the responses to the thread were helpful and not mocking the thread starter...for the most part. Elation posted instructions on how to do it. Crispy followed up with a summary. Then ATHK replied about how he loves it and Crispy follows up again with a bit of goofing around. Nothing wrong with any of that, in my opinion. It promotes a light-hearted and friendly atmosphere to the forum.

While Dark-Millenia hadn't replied yet, at the time of this post I can see him "online" in Byond and playing a game, so the thread is probably "finished". Why, then, was the "You're not a real Byonder and you should leave entirely" necessary in any way? Exactly what kind of message does that give off? Unwelcome, cold. Would Dark-Millenia want to use the forums again if he had a problem? I sure wouldn't if I got a response like that! I'd probably want to bite back. Then a fight could start up and then the previously-friendly Crispy then has to move into nanny mode and shut down the thread (unless another mod beats him to it).

Everybody is vulnerable to making stupid mistakes. I make more than my fair share of them every week. Speaking in general here, why would you think you have the right to determine who is competent enough to remain in a community and who has to go, if you're not an administrator of said community? What makes your opinion of a "proper" community member so important as to allow you to push it on the forum?

If you so badly need to roast any particular member, at least come over here to Byond's 'forum sand box' to do it (or to some, its litter box). Otherwise, please don't do this. I don't think anybody is expecting you to post like a tuxedo-clad monocle-wearing scholar who drinks his afternoon tea and types on his keyboard with his pinkie extended.* Just try to maintain some civility on the forum. Otherwise, you're doing more to shun paying customers than any Byond bug ever would.

*Typing with your pinkie extended is terrible. I onec made an accidental habit out of this and it's MURDER on your joint.
It's because half of the BYOND community are annoying jerks who have nothing better to do than to, "ARGUE ON TEH INTERWEB".
Didn't Flame Sage quit BYOND a few months back because no one helped him?
Basik, you jerkass, lets argue on teh interweb because you are a phailure. >=P
I saw it and I was gonna berate Flame Sage for posting it, but then I realised he wasn't worth the time. I guess that day he needed to make himself feel better or something.
Crispy follows up again with a bit of goofing around. Nothing wrong with any of that, in my opinion. It promotes a light-hearted and friendly atmosphere to the forum.

It does? Crap. I was trying to scare everyone off by being weird. An empty forum would make my life that much easier, and the Lord knows that if I have one aim in life it's to make my life easier.

By the Lord, I of course mean my cat.

(Ten points to the first person to spot that reference!)
Can I get 42 points instead?
I wonder why I can seemingly get away with making a rant about the state of various Byond user behavior yet other people (namely Silk) get harped on for similar stuff, which was the hidden point of this post.
Elation wrote:
Can I get 42 points instead?

Trust a Brit to know that one! 42 points to you, sir. =)
Wow..
I just noticed this was here. :D