ID:2147863

Not a bug
BYOND Version:511.1355
Operating System:Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 52.0.2743.116
Applies to:Dream Maker

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary: Icon states set to play indefinitely begin playing on the last frame instead of the first.

Workarounds: Set the icon state to loop X times, where X is the maximum amount (65535).
That's finite, not indefinite.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
That's finite, not indefinite.

I don't understand. The loop options are "indefinitely" and "time(s)". The latter plays animations as expected, beginning from frame 1.
In response to Lummox JR
(I've not seen the issue personally, just going off the first post)

The issue appears when it's set to indefinite; the *workaround* is to set it to a large definite number and hope BYOND never gets there.
I suppose this is a decent case for leaving the template relatively intact, even if you're going to blank a lot of it. I also ignored the heading of 'Workarounds' at first, and assumed it to be steps to reproduce from the wording and positioning after the summary.
In response to GinjaNinja32
GinjaNinja32 wrote:
The issue appears when it's set to indefinite; the *workaround* is to set it to a large definite number and hope BYOND never gets there.

Exactly this. I only noticed it because I spent a whole lot of time trying to sync some calls to animate() to the player's active animation.

I tested on 511.* 1355 and 1356, where the former showed the issue three out of six times, and the latter four out of five times.
In response to GinjaNinja32
GinjaNinja32 wrote:
(I've not seen the issue personally, just going off the first post)

Ah, that's my late-reading comprehension for you. I'm confused because I've never seen an issue with icon animation. Is there a test case for this? Normally I'd just try making something up but I'm not sure if this was seen with an obj, turf, or what.
In response to Lummox JR
http://files.byondhome.com/FKI/Test%20Environment.rar

Repeat these steps at least a few times if you don't notice anything the first time.
1. Open the project.
2. Launch the project.
3. Execute the "testcaseANIMATED ICON STATE" verb.
4. Observe your character.
Okay, I think I misunderstood this issue--and if so, it's actually a non-issue.

Basically what you're saying is the icon does loop forever, but it's not necessarily starting on the first frame every time? I can't believe it would always start on the last, and given that you said this only happens sometimes, that would make sense.

Classic animated icons, i.e. indefinite, do not track the creation/change time. Instead they all sync to the client clock, and show the same frame at the same time no matter which object it is. This is intended behavior.

Is that what you're seeing? If so I can close this as a non-bug.
In response to Lummox JR
That is what I'm seeing. I was familiar with that, but what threw me off is how it does that even when the client hasn't seen that animation before. You could say I thought mobs would act at least a little differently in that respect. I'm coming from an angle of "These frames play in this order, so why am I seeing the last before the first?", and so everything came out wrong when I knew it was right in my head.
Yeah, I see what you mean. I think there's possibly some logic in changing movables, or maybe all atoms, to work that way at some point, but the current behavior is expected.
Lummox JR resolved issue (Not a bug)