ID:2152249

Resolved
Dream Seeker sometimes crashed in unusual cases when multiple map controls were present.
BYOND Version:511.1358
Operating System:Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 53.0.2785.116
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
On loading the game Shinobi of Legend, the player base & I are currently experiencing client crashing when loading the game. https://puu.sh/rlfmr/fc7aca3f3b.png
Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Loading character (which loads all game procs)

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? It doesn't happen to everyone but a high majority of players including myself. Can vary from getting in instantly to crashing every time.
In other games? Did experience it in one other game on character creation (Failed Fate 0: Revived)
In other user accounts? Any account of mine / Numerous other players
On other computers? Yes (as mentioned above)

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.) The game hasn't been updated in three years and was working fine previously. I've noticed that 510/509 also have this issue however I am unsure as to what version it started in. 502 is the current version players have been changing to which avoids any problems.

Workarounds: Downloading version 502 and playing with that.

Event Viewer
Faulting application name: dreamseeker.exe, version: 5.0.511.1358, time stamp: 0x57e448bc
Faulting module name: byondcore.dll, version: 5.0.511.1358, time stamp: 0x57e447b1
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00131912
Faulting process id: 0x7820
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2176327bf6b0b
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\BYOND\bin\dreamseeker.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\BYOND\bin\byondcore.dll
Report Id: 5f7468d1-a07c-452a-9fde-713a84eec2d6
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

502 is way out of date and should not be used as a downgrade solution by anyone. If 509 has the issue, then I would suggest trying 508 for the time being.
Honestly just what I've heard from the players as their personal solution - will try 508 and see what happens.
Unfortunately I wasn't able to get much info out of a trace from those crash details (but thanks for sharing them!). I think what I'm going to need is some way to reproduce the problem. It would help if I can run a server of my own for testing purposes, if you can contact the author to set that up. I'll need source for that, and also any instructions I might need to get to the point of the crash.
Sorry I've left out some key details. I've recently managed to debug to find that it has something relating to the minimap / hud (both of which use client.screen - only link I can see atm). Essentially, delaying this in the load proc by like a minute (or even enabling via a verb) will crash once this part is loaded.

I've been given ownership of the game so I can help you out with whatever you need in regards to that. (Would it be possible to add via the byond client?)
I'm not sure what you mean about adding via the BYOND client. If you have source to share, I would suggest uploading somewhere and sending me a link via the pager. You can even use your Member file space for that.
Sorry, meant to say pager. I've sent you a link and some extra instructions on the problem.
Please retest this issue in 511.1360. I believe it has been fixed.
Haven't had a problem since updating, looks like we are good. Thanks for the help
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
Dream Seeker sometimes crashed in unusual cases when multiple map controls were present.