ID:2154653

BYOND Version:511.1359
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 51.0.2704.103
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Theres a wierd freeze fps drop every 2-3 sec while moving.
Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Set world fps to 40/tick_lag = 0.25 on both stable and beta. and Compare the results.
Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
world/fps = 40
world/tick_lag = 0.25

Expected Results:
Smooth fps on Stable
Actual Results:
Choppy on Beta
Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
Every time
In other games?
Yes
In other user accounts?
Yes
On other computers?
Yes
When does the problem NOT occur?
When using Stable
Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
Latest Stable Version
Workarounds:
Don't use beta.

I recorded 2 videos that show the problem in action.

Beta - You can see how it freezes every 2-3 secs bringing it down to 37-38 fps and then goes back instantly to 40.
http://puu.sh/rvgkK/3a63bb2521.flv

Stable - Smooth 40 fps.
http://puu.sh/rvhgT/751d2aa4ae.flv
I can confirm its not a fps drop is actually a Freeze because even if you don't move and just make the window smaller and drag it around the desktop you can see the window freezing every 2-3 sec while you drag it around.
Did some more testing with Kaiochao, we can't replicate this issue on his end. But I found something interesting if I remove the FPS from world completly it only happens every 10-15 sec for a split sec.

Another interesting thing is this. Regardless of this I get it without it. Just to demonstrate the effects im having. On Beta.
        spawn for()
sleep 10
for(var/n = 1 to 1e6) . = .

When I would use this I would get same result. sleep 10 it would freeze for a split sec every 1 sec, sleep 30 it would freeze for a split sec every 3 sec. etc
Ok I can't explain this one... I literly just closed byond PAGER and now I no longer get the freezing.
Without a test project there's nothing I can investigate. Videos that demonstrate the problem are not enough to tell me anything, except when there's a purely visual issue. This requires a demo.

The stuttering you're describing would be potentially consistent with statpanel updates, or rather something happening every so many statpanel updates, especially if the time between stutters scales with FPS. However the statpanel code hasn't changed in any meaningful way.
Stapanels didn't do this. BYOND pager did once I closed it the problem was gone.
The fact that the BYOND pager caused any kind of interference, and that Kaiochao didn't have an issue on his end, suggests that something on your system is the culprit. Nevertheless if there's anything in BYOND's code that might be exacerbating that (perhaps as a "hook" for whatever on your system is causing trouble), there's a slim chance I might be able to investigate that with a test project.

It would be instructive to know if your problem reappears if a browser control is opened.