ID:2154801

Not a bug
BYOND Version:511.1359
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 53.0.2785.143
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
OCCURS IN: 511.1359

Descriptive Problem Summary:
The player's movement state when walking around works normally in 510, then if I compile the project to 511 it no longer works (He just moves around while appearing to stand still. He no longer animates as if he is walking) then if I recompile the project to 510 again it works. So this proves it's the BYOND version doing it.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
I have a source that demonstrates the problem but I have to give it to you privately because I don't want someone using it.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:
Player animates normally when walking

Actual Results:
Player does not animate normally

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Yea
In other games? Dunno
In other user accounts? Yea
On other computers? Dunno

When does the problem NOT occur?
When I compile in 510 instead of 511

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
It works fine in 510

Workarounds:
Dunno
Please do send the source. And this report should be edited to change the version number; if it's broken in 511 but not 510, the version should be the exact 511 build you used.
Still waiting on source for this. Movement states work in my tests, so there must be something specific in your project that's different from my test project.
I sent the link over pager. Thanks
Uh, that's some mondo ginormous source right there. All I really need is the icon that the player is using for movement, and the definition of the mob in case it defines an icon state. Can you narrow it down to just a little test case so I know what to look for?

I feel like I'm going to get lost in your source.
'New Pale Male.dmi' is the icon the player uses.
ChooseSkinColor() is where that is defined.

The player is just a type /mob not a type /mob/Player or any such thing.

New character.dm is where the initial setup of a new character is. It's pretty short.

The player's icon state is undefined
If I take your icon and put it into a demo project, there is no problem with the movement state when I walk around.

I will say that putting the movement state before the non-movement state is bizarre; I would really recommend switching those. However DS should not have a problem with that. Also, the compiler version shouldn't impact anything regarding the icon itself.

I need for you to strip this down into a demo project, using the most basic mob definition that shows this problem in action. If I just setup an ordinary mob with this icon, everything is fine.
Okay but that'll take a while because of the size of the project. I'll see what I can do.

Also if I rename the non-movement state in the icon to "unused" (so it'll be unused) then the player still just glides around without any animation, if that tells you anything.
Are you certain that you're not doing something like icon math, so that the icon isn't actually the same as your original file?
Yes I'm certain there is no icon math involved. There is some transform matrix operations to set the player's size, for example:
player.transform = matrix() * player_transform_size

But that's it.

I've found new and weird information. If you take this below code and paste it anywhere in that source I gave you and run it, you will see moving with step(src,dir) works fine, yet for some reason moving with step(src,dir,5) DOES NOT WORK FINE.
mob/New()
Thing()
..()

mob/proc/Thing()
set waitfor=0
sleep(20)
while(1)

step(src,dir) //use this one and it works fine
//step(src,dir,5) //however, use this one, and it will not work fine

sleep(world.tick_lag)

What else can I do to help? Unless I'm mistaken this can't be a mistake I made in the source correct? It has to be something in your step() function?
Do you have any smaller source that deminstrates this? A small test project?
I'll try but it'll take me a while
Okay great it was nice and simple to put together a working example: https://www.mediafire.com/?5wsbsscaxyn5l0b

It seems the speed parameter of step() is just being completely ignored also. You change change it to 1, 5, or 25, it won't make a difference in the player's move speed.
I'll take a look.

I noticed Mediafire has gotten way more aggressive with their redirect-on-click advertising, which is not cool. I can probably work around that if I need to in the future (and I was able to get the file eventually), but I would suggest finding a different site for your uploads going forward.
http://www.sendspace.com + Adblocker = win
In response to Kozuma3
Kozuma3 wrote:
http://www.sendspace.com + Adblocker = win

Yeah, that works. And boy howdy, Sendspace is unusable without a blocker. They have fake download buttons freaking everywhere.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
I'll take a look.

I noticed Mediafire has gotten way more aggressive with their redirect-on-click advertising, which is not cool. I can probably work around that if I need to in the future (and I was able to get the file eventually), but I would suggest finding a different site for your uploads going forward.

I never get ads on mediafire because I use a chrome plugin called uBlock Origin. 1 click = 1 download for me there, no hassle. Maybe it'll benefit you. And thanks.

uBlock Origin is far superior to the more popular Adblock Plus.
In response to Tens of DU
Maybe in Chrome it is; in Firefox I'll stick to old faithful. The reason it let Mediafire's redirect through is that they use an onclick script.
In response to Lummox JR
Are you seriously using Firefox?...
I use ublock origin on Firefox as well, much better than ABP. You can use any of the pomf.se clones as well. ( https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ 1kh1TZdtyX7UlRd55OBxf7DB-JGj2rsfWckI0FPQRYhE/edit#gid=0 )
Page: 1 2