ID:2155092

Applies to:DM Language

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Currently, it is possible to use client.screen as a "holder" for objects that a character has special access to, i.e., when there are verbs/procs that are naturally centered in the object that only a certain player or players should have access to but which cannot be adequately covered using the locational references currently supported as src settings for verbs.

Examples would include: items that have situational commands (a sword in contents can be Equipped, a sword in client.screen can be Unequipped) or admin-level controls over atoms (the ability to delete objects, send mobs to time-out).

Using client.screen in this fashion can conflict with using it in its intended fashion, however, and there may well be scaling issues when using it on a global scale as the game expects objects in screen to need to be drawn.

So what I am suggesting/requesting is a var for client and a parallel one for mob (because some applications would be better tied to the character and some to the player), possibly called access_list, that is simply a list of movables the variable's owner "has access to", for purposes of a src setting "in usr.access" or "in usr.client.access").

This would allow a whole new layer of customization for verb access, and allow games that have big, complicated layers of admin verbs to simplify their implementation considerably.
I suspect the SS13 verbs that most run into problems with performance, the "in world" verbs, won't benefit from this since those verbs are designed for things like editing the vars of any object in sight.

That's not any commentary on the merits of this request for other purposes, of course. I'm just thinking that regarding the verb performance issue for right-click menus and such, it won't help those cases.
That's a fair point. This is a feature I would like for my own purposes for multiple reasons, and I thought I'd try casting a wider net for applicability.
I agree with this idea. Architecturally sometimes you want to grant/deny access to verbs in a packaged set; you can create holder objects on each person individually, but it would be nice to have a central object that you just grant or deny access to.

It's especially nice if you modify the verb list on the package object; if you have do that once for each holder object it's meaningless duplication. In my case I have a logging controller that only has verbs to show logs if those logs have anything in them. It's entirely feasible to do without, just ugly.