ID:2156932

Applies to:Website

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
I am considering making a game that players could subscribe to for a small amount, say $0.99, after which they could either download the game and play single player, or host or play online multiplayer. I was wondering, is there a way to allow BYOND members to play free or at a discount, while having non-BYOND members pay a full price?

Another example might be $1.99 as a non-BYOND member, but $0.99 for a BYOND member. Basically, two different subscription prices, one for BYOND members, and one for non-BYOND members.

I'd also appreciate any advice on what people think about this payment model. I think it's pretty fair, as it allows me to give a bonus to people who expand the community and help share in paying the BYOND software development team. I'm also pretty against pay-to-win games that give meaningful advantages to people who pay. Yet on the other hand, I think just giving a perk is not meaningful enough. I'd rather give a discount to people already supporting my game's development community. I did a search of my own for a solution in the forums, and couldn't find anything, but let me know if you know a way to implement this. I haven't done subscription payments on BYOND, yet, so I'm pretty new to it, so let me know if there is something obvious I missed.

I think it may be good to add this as an option when posting a game to the hub, to have it cost one price for BYOND members, and a different price for non-members. I also think it would be good to allow the difference to be listed in such cases, so people can decide if they want to go ahead and become members first to get the discount.

Let me know your ideas, or if this may be able to be implemented in the future.

EDIT: I've been learning more about subscription options, and here are a few things worth mentioning:

1. I now understand that $3.00 is the minimum subscription price. 20% goes for processing and service fees managed by BYOND using Paypal. This makes a lot more sense, and explains why BYOND doesn't necessarily need an option for us to include discounts for membership, as BYOND is able to make some profit in the main subscription transaction. However, this still gives 80% to the developer, which is a great deal for the services BYOND provides.

2. Another payment model I'm considering is allowing a short tutorial/demo to be playable by anyone, while allowing an additional game mode for BYOND members, and full access to all game modes for subscribers. This allows PVP to still be fair within any given game mode, while still rewarding BYOND members and subscribers.