On a cold, chilly day, you run into a man at the coffee shop. You can't talk because you've recently spent the last 5 minutes shouting non-stop at an energetic trump supporter. The man says he is looking for an easy to use 2D game engine. As you scarf down another round of egg nog, you reach into your brief case and whip out this.

http://www.byond.com/

Your front page. Your headline, Your elevator pitch.
From 10 years ago.
That is funny. xD

Reminds me of some talks from Rami Ismail for some reason.
On a cold chilly day, you run into a mysterious man in a cloak. You ask him for his name, and he says his name is not important. What is important is uniting all games. You look confused and can feel your butt cheeks beginning to clench. As beads of sweat roll down your hairy man tit, you say how do you unite all games.

The mysterious man says it's simple. He pulls out a perfectly rolled joint and blazes it infront of you as you stand there still looking clueless. After taking approximately 7 puffs of the grade-A OG kush, he says come, my child, I shall show you the way.

He connects to McDonald's wifi on his Samsung fone but not before buying a McGriddle so as to avoid getting kicked out for loitering. Just as he is about to finish typing http://www.byond.com into the browser, his fone explodes. RIP Samsung. He would have gotten an iPhone but they no longer have headphone jacks. Good job, Apple.

Try BYOND today!
Better games. Better developers. BYOND.
In response to 2DExtremeProductions
2DExtremeProductions wrote:
I said "new", but alright, let's be illogical to be logical in a fantasy world.
I understand, it is so difficult to position things.
This is impossible.

Let's not do anything, which includes, not answering questions about BYOND itself.

Amazing mindset.

Nothing left to say here.

Good day!

Nobody is saying nothing should be done.

All Lummox is saying is that he's not really a web or design guy. He's a grunt code guy. You are making a web and design suggestion and arguing that it's a grunt suggestion.

Basically, the whole discussion is:

"Hey, you should overhaul the way you market your business."

"Yeah, I'm amenable to suggestions."

"Well you should do this big project."

"Okay, well, I'm busy running the business, and don't really have the funds to pay someone else to do it properly."

"WHY DON'T YOU CARE ABOUT WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO TO BE A SUCCESS?!"

It's not a question about whether the front page needs to be changed or not. It's a question of HOW does the front page need to be changed? What should it look like? How do we present the necessary information in a simple, visually pleasing way? WHO will take on this project?

Lummox is basically saying he doesn't have the resources to invest in what needs to happen, because what needs to happen is no small project. You are arguing basically that a large undertaking is trivial. That's it.

Nobody's even remotely ignoring your suggestion or saying your suggestion is a particularly bad idea. They are just saying it isn't fleshed out enough to be immediately actionable with the resources we do have.

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they didn't read.

Furthermore, your questions read as rhetorical and immensely off topic, which is why they probably didn't get an answer. When the person complaining about their ideas and judgements of how much work a job will take makes a blatantly backward comment like "DIV-based layouts are pure HTML", I'm sorry, but that makes their input suspect and corrections on those matters should be humbling to that person rather than inciting of a double-down.
Ter13 wrote:
Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they didn't read.

Nothing you say that I said, I actually said. So if anyone cares to read the posts, go ahead. And like Lummox JR, you're over engineering the whole thing.

It seems the last informational update on the site was adding "or Isometric perspective" to the "Create" column on the main site.

And that was on or just after BYOND version 455,
Nov 3 2009, 11:46 am.

I am Mission oriented, not Looks oriented.
If your goal is to make something "pretty", take your years.
But if your goal is to tell people something, you gotta start by actually speaking or writing.

I believe in functionality, that's it. We don't have to agree, but at least understand it and don't misrepresent me.

Good day!

EDIT: I want to add something.

BYOND is what it is and has what it has. Not great funding and not much personnel. And that is an understandable reason for things on the website, or certain pages of the website, to not be "pretty" or have this "unique" design. To me, it already has.

It is understandable. And people will wonder about it after they know what BYOND is or already use it. Limited resources means limited choices. That is understandable.

Lack of information is not understandable.
It is obfuscation.
It is uncaring.
It is the worst marketing move ever. Ever.

Lummox JR is doing good amazing work. But the representation of his work is only known to those that are already deep into BYOND or have a little love for BYOND in their hearts. Any one new or dream gamer starting with DM has a huge staircase with some invisible steps to climb. And with a 2009 view of what BYOND is.
You've said good day like fives times now, and every time in my head I'm imagining you storming out of the room, only to enter stage left again.

Is it just your way of ending a post?
It is just my way of ending a post, a reminder that you can always have a good day. I in no way or form am affected by anyone here or elsewhere. I'm a dad, I got more important things to deal with, if any.

I posted again because I was misrepresented.
Or misunderstood.

And I took the time to say what I mean, in another way, because it is not being understood it seems.

Not 1 pomodoro(25 minutes) has been spent on the presented information of BYOND in 7 years.

Look at Wikipedia, the perfect logical and functional example of what my logic and recommendation is. That is what I promote in my comments here.

Function over Looks.
Gameplay over Graphics.

May the Force be with you!
lol
2DExtremeProductions wrote:
Nothing you say that I said, I actually said. So if anyone cares to read the posts, go ahead.

Time to head to the fact checkers!

In response to Ter13
I'd be happy if he just replaced the images and information to be up to date. That seems reasonable and do-able within a short period of time.
You're arguing a point no one is disputing. Obviously the front page needs an update. Everyone agrees on that.
In response to Orange55
Orange55 wrote:
I'd be happy if he just replaced the images and information to be up to date. That seems reasonable and do-able within a short period of time.

It is not. Even replacing the images raises the question of what to replace them with, and there's no point replacing them when the layout is the bigger issue.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
It is not. Even replacing the images raises the question of what to replace them with,
Newer Games.

and there's no point replacing them when the layout is the bigger issue.

Since your not wanting to take the time to pick out a new one, you should just update it instead.

Something like this:
newestSS1

Seriously don't sweat the images, you have access to pretty much all the games on BYOND - I doubt any game owner would turn down the chance to have their screenshot be on the front page.
The current images look better than what your mockup replaces them with, if anything. Yours clash with the theme pretty badly.
In response to Orange55
Dat game is no longer developed on byond.
In response to Pixel Realms
I'm not suggesting you replace the front page with this mockup.

I'm suggesting that the images and information be replaced in a similar way.

Honestly though, looking back at all the stuff here, probably should've stuck this in a thread somewhere. I feel like this announcement kinda got hijacked a bit.

Sorry bout that.
In response to Orange55
Orange55 wrote:
Sorry bout that.

i forgive you buddy. we all make mistakes.

except for me

Good day!
In response to EmpirezTeam
I'll never forgive you for lying about your amphibian heritage.

#NeverForgetTheFrog
In response to Orange55
Picking out a new image is a time sink in and of itself. I have a significant interest in gathering some images to eventually use on the front page, especially gameplay .gifs, but not in taking an active role in that.

But like I said, I don't really want to simply update that page with slightly different pictures and text that basically leave it the same as it is now; that would be a waste of time, since we all agree an actual substantive change is called for. I don't see the point in throwing time at a page I'm eventually going to replace.
In response to Lummox JR
I feel like we're waving this flag.

When we should be waving this one.

It's just really frustrating to see the software evolve, but to see the same old stuff everywhere else.

I'm glad your at least thinking about doing something for it at some point. Hopefully we'll see a proper landing page in about 15 years in the coming months. It's really important because it helps attract new users.

Cheers.
Page: 1 2 3