ID:2162621

Keep in mind this is only a "First Impressions".

The device seems to be 6 inches long and 3.5 inches wide.
With the controller it seems to add 2.5 to 3 inches to the length.

I'm expecting the price to be at $300 max $250 min.

Considering the total size and price of the device, what parent would let their child take it to school?
I wouldn't.
So there goes 40% the main market for Nintendo IP.

Next, another 40%, Nostalgic parents like myself.
Which we already decided that the other options will have famous IP from Disney, CN, Pixar, etc...including brands that we got to enjoy in the past two generations. Which means, if there's nothing extremely interesting and my child won't be using it in some cases, then no reason to buy. Smartphones rule the pocket and such the World.

The last 20% is the Fanatical market with a tiny percentage of "I'll get it cause it's there". Which seems to be a less than 15 million market.

Granted, this is exactly what I predicted since the Wii U was shown, exactly a mobile and dockable system. But more towards the line of a Shield Portable design. But this was "something" years ago.

The other problem, more different controller types again. This is just dumb.
I made the numbers years ago, getting a PS4 or XOne was cheaper than going for the Wii U in some cases, thinking of multiplayer. Horrible design choices left and right.

Nintendo gets too much credit, things change, people change and "Creativity, INC." is a good book.

Good day!

They should had made a powerful Wii.
I like it.

I never was really fond of the Wii, DS,DS LTE, DSi, DSXL, or the WiiU. However I am genuinely Interested in the Switch.
The total size and price of the device is equal or less than that of your average tablet, so there's no problem taking it anywhere.

Discounting that, Switch's new partners(http://i.imgur.com/GwvnVI9.png) look very impressive and the demo even showed gameplay of Skyrim HD. Portable Skyrim by itself is enough of a reason to buy the system, but this list indicates we might see even more games along that line, like Dark Souls.
Unity and Unreal are in there, too, so it looks like there's a healthy indie dev community.

As for the controller types, the shtick with Switch is that the one set of controllers is the only real set, and everything else is just a dock to fit your needs if you want special controllers.

The point of it is to be a personal system instead of a console. The idea and the price seem to indicate that a person would get a Switch for themselves and not their family, but could share games whenever.

I plan on getting two or three Switches for my family, anyways. But most of this is just wishful thinking.
It'll at least be better than the Wii U.
2DExtremeProductions wrote:
6 inches long and 3.5 inches wide

Travylleb wrote:
I like it.

Travylleb wrote:
I am genuinely Interested

Seteron14 wrote:
The total size

Seteron14 wrote:
look very impressive

Nintendo takes another L trying to reinvent gaming... expect low console sales and a lack of games.
In response to Fakeoutrage
Fakeoutrage wrote:
Nintendo takes another L trying to reinvent gaming... expect low console sales and a lack of games.

Bruh, put some respeck on Nintendo name. Them the ones that brung you classics like Mario Super Brothers and Link the Legend. They also brung you Highly Curvaceous Zero Samus Skin Tight Booty Suit. You oughta catch a plane to Japan right now and pray at a Shinto shrine and hope Mr. Iwata-sama-san pardons your soul for all them sins you just committed by failin to put respeck where respeck is due at.
The Skyrim stuff was just to show off support, not that the game is coming to the Switch, I read somewhere.

But sure the engine support will be there, but what's special about it?

I find the controller, when divided for two players nice but highly limited, it's pretty much a Stick and 4 buttons. The shoulder buttons seem ergonomically unusable when divided.

I don't see this getting more than Wii U sales. But, I'm pretty sure they will be marketing the hell out of this on their mobile apps, would be stupid not to. But then again.

And this probably has the worst fake d-pad ever.

The other problem is nvidia, unless they did magic, I don't expect much efficiency from them, but Nintendo must have cared about that, hopefully.

Yut Put wrote:
ur opinions are pretty bad tbh

At least I am willing to communicate.

Good day!
Yut Put wrote:
ur opinions are pretty bad tbh

I honestly think Nintendo Switch could be the only reason why anyone would want to buy a console over a PC. They could easily make a simple console with a "classic" controller and thats it but they don't because they know the market is already full of these! And that's exactly why a lot of people look forward to see what Nintendo is going to announce.They always innovate. Honestly I didn't like the Wii U but I loved the Nintendo Switch concept and just like it was mentioned above, this list: http://i.imgur.com/GwvnVI9.png shows the potential this console has!
I highly disagree. Most people these days do not have time to sit down and play Xbox One or their PS4. Nintendo are masters of the handheld gaming franchise. Them merging with the ideas of smartphones and tablets is staggering plus the relationship with Nvidia and MANY third part companies. Dark Souls and Skyrim on the go sells the console by itself. Add on top of that potential for Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, Nintendo Titles, Metal Gear, Payday, NBA 2k, Madden, the story mode games made by talltale, you have a dream line-up of games for what can be seen as a dream portable console. The question remains how big this will be AND how long the battery lasts on the go. If the battery can last 6+ hours, I don't see why this won't sell like hotcakes.

EDIT: The controls are also a huge selling point because it allows you to play the Switch in more ways than one. Usually it's just one controller and the console. Here, you can split the controllers in 2, attach the controllers to the screen, detach the controllers and hopefully use them as Wii Remotes, put them on a gamepad base, etc. The possibilities are endless. If Microsoft and Sony cannot counteract this, then they're doomed in terms of sales since you cannot move your PS4 and Xbox One as easy as the Switch. Also, 4k support? No one really cares as long as the gameplay is smooth and the graphics look amazing. Hell, most people I know prefer 1080 and think 4k is just hype (much like the Occulous Rift).
If people don't have time to sit and play, how can they have time to move and play?

This also needs a carry case. Or put on a backpack or something? Cause this monstrosity wont fit pockets, unless we start pushing for huge pocketed pants because the Switch is amazing.

And at the moment, it has no Touch and no Motion Input.
Kinda sounds like a bigger Vita but with less controls!

I'd love to develop for the Switch, but the market is? Ignoring fanatics.

1- People who want to play some games with others and maybe play something more immersive(using 2 joy-cons) by themselves outside the house without plugging any cables or TV.

I am totally not the target audience.

WorldWideDuelist, what's your personal use case for it? Are train rides part of your common schedule?
Are long drives, which you aren't the driver, common?

This would had been great when I was in the military.

Good day!
The 3DS and Vita are also expensive -- hell, so are a lot of cell phones and regular tablets -- yet parents let their kids bring them to school. If they break it, that's their fault. But we bring lots of very expensive, large, and fragile things with us to travel all the time. And, on the topic of cell phones, your kids may not want to play the same old mobile games. They may want a real gaming experience and not have to deal with the shit people shove on mobile platforms. I know I'd rather play a 3DS, Vita, and for that matter the Switch than I would my phone.

Lots of people use their devices as they travel. Just because you can't understand that, doesn't mean it isn't a popular use for gaming on handhelds. I guarantee you they'll come out with cases too. Even if that isn't something you can comprehend, however, one can see simply pulling out the Switch and using it as a handheld around the house while another friend or family member wants to use the TV. The fact that I can let someone else use the TV while I play, or just grab it and lie down on my bed or the couch to play if I want to, makes it a great idea to me.

Your market numbers are nonsensical and arbitrary -- based on nothing. Let's just wait and see what happens. As I see it, it's a great idea if Nintendo doesn't mess up something else. If this custom tegra chip is more powerful than the X2, there will be no reason for third parties not to make games for the Switch. Even if it's only as powerful as the X2, it's still going to be good competition and I see many third parties throwing in their support as they already have. We have to wait and see about that. The only people I honestly see this alienating are people who love to travel with their 3DS in their pockets. As far as any other criticisms go, it's all speculation and we can't possibly say anything yet. But, with what we have so far, this seems like the best idea at the best time to me. This is the first truly functional "gimmick" Nintendo has come up with -- not shoehorning some physical mechanics gimmick into the gameplay, but something truly utilitarian that actually sounds like a good idea.

Hard to beat "Free" mobile games. The none "real gaming experiences" are ruling the world.

Wow, dude.

In no point or moment did I say I don't understand or comprehend what ever you claim. I want to know the use cases for people and why they would choose it over so many other things. The idea of using it around the house completely failed to mean anything on the market, hence the Wii U, look at the numbers and the N64 and GC numbers so that you get the idea. The Switch has way more competition and difficulty now than the Wii U had.

They idea of traveling, which I took on with something more specific than your general comments, is the common use case for traveling, meaning not vacationing. Cause I don't see that many peoples reason to buy one because they go on vacation and would love to play it while on vacation. Is there gonna be people that do, sure, but millions? There are other devices, including the 3DS. Since the Switch isn't competing with it, supposedly.

My numbers come from past numbers on Nintendo home consoles which include the Wii U. As the market grows and varies, Nintendo goes down. The Wii got great market share but little use. That shows who those buyers where, which about 90% to 95% of them didn't get a Wii U, they all left Nintendo, ~87 Million people didn't choose Nintendo again.

So, you don't have many TV's and that is a good reason for you to use the Switch instead of your Tablet, Smartphone, Vita, Wii U and 3DS?

And by the way, as a dev platform, I do prefer it, it has a limit which I have been thinking about in the past few weeks about.

This is about if 15+ Million people will actually care about it. Which would surpass the Wii U which is at 13 million in about 4 years.

So my question to you, Fugsnarf, is: What is your personal use case and how common is it to you personally?

Good day!
In response to 2DExtremeProductions
Wow, dude.

In no point or moment did I say I don't understand or comprehend what ever you claim.

If people don't have time to sit and play, how can they have time to move and play?

Fugsnarf wrote:
Lots of people use their devices as they travel.

Cause I don't see that many peoples reason to buy one because they go on vacation and would love to play it while on vacation. Is there gonna be people that do, sure, but millions?

Yes. Millions. Every day while going to work or school. It's a fact -- that's a significant market.

My numbers come from past numbers on Nintendo home consoles which include the Wii U. As the market grows and varies, Nintendo goes down.

That's not definite at all. The Wii U was a failure in many very clear ways that were obvious the moment it was announced. The Switch is what the Wii U should have been. Considering it should bring markets from the 3DS users as well, I see it quite differently. If anything, the Wii U was a total anomaly considering the crazy success of the DS and Wii, and the strong success of the 3DS.

So my question to you, Fugsnarf, is: What is your personal use case and how common is it to you personally?

I'd only play it at home.
In response to Fugsnarf
Fugsnarf wrote:
Yes. Millions. Every day while going to work or school. It's a fact -- that's a significant market.

I know that is a fact. But it's also a fact that market is heavily taken cared of.

Fugsnarf wrote:
Considering it should bring markets from the 3DS users as well, I see it quite differently.

The 3DS had to get a $70 price cut. The 3DS has also lost about 90M users.

Fugsnarf wrote:
If anything, the Wii U was a total anomaly considering the crazy success of the DS and Wii, and the strong success of the 3DS.

The Wii was the anomaly, Nintendo was loosing fans, then the Wii brought even grandparents into the mix. But the Wii wasn't getting much play time in comparison to other consoles.
And that's where you see Wii U numbers, the majority of Wii U users are the hardcore Nintendo fans, SNES had 49M consoles sold, N64 had 33M consoles sold, GC had 22M sold, the Wii U has 13M consoles sold.

The trend was clear.

Fugsnarf wrote:
I'd only play it at home.

Why is that?
Yut Put wrote:
fanatics isn't the right word

Not sure why that says is a favorite, thanks for bringing up something pointless and meaningless.

You are something special, friend.

dang yut he just called you special, i know ur not just gonna take that

i know ur not just gonna let that slide brah
I don't see how the Switch won't make an impact on how we game. And yes, Fugsnarf is right. I know many people who bring their tablets and phones to school with them, so I see this being no different. Also, carrying a backpack or a draw-string bag around isn't "not normal". If you ask me, it's smart.

As far as the market "being taken care of" you're wrong again. There are very little 3D Mobile games, let alone ones with a LOT of immersion like the Switch will provide. Most mobile games are flash games we used to play on our computer back in 2008 on newgrounds. Nintendo is taking the logical next step, immersion on the go. That's all it's about. The only thing that would screw this console over is battery support and possible feature removal from certain games to preserver space (the latter as shown with the Wii and it's third party titles)
In response to 2DExtremeProductions

This also needs a carry case. Or put on a backpack or something? Cause this monstrosity wont fit pockets,

I'd love to develop for the Switch, but the market is?

Nintendo gets too much credit

Nintendo is responsible for 10/25 of the highest selling consoles of all time. If they are overrated, they aren't overrated on a proven track record of producing products people actually want.

Considering the dude responsible for the Wii U was forced to commit seppuku, I'm convinced the switch is going to be a bigger hit. Heads will roll if it isn't.

TBH though, I really respect Nintendo as a company for not selling out to the super realistic graphics > gameplay trend that has been plaguing mainstream gaming. Nintendo builds their games around fun. Many of their games are hardly even games so much as digital toys. I really enjoy the social aspect of Nintendo's games and their company's ideology that play is a group social activity, not a solo activity.

They create a product, that IMO just makes the world a brighter, happier place and that's something I can't say about many companies.

The switch? I think she'll do alright. Even if it only moves 25 million units, it'll still make the list as the 15th highest selling console of all time. That's a respectable achievement for any company.
In response to WorldWideDuelist
WorldWideDuelist wrote:
I know many people who bring their tablets and phones to school with them, so I see this being no different.

So your main market is Vita, 3DS and Tablet owners who want "more"? Can you give examples of who do you know that want more and what that specific more/game or experience is?

WorldWideDuelist wrote:
As far as the market "being taken care of" you're wrong again. There are very little 3D Mobile games, let alone ones with a LOT of immersion like the Switch will provide.

"Immersion" is a variable that depends on the player. So, what does "Immersion" mean to you? To me, mobile has done well with most genres. The heavy input action FPS won't work well, but if it is a slow story based FPS it would work. A good example for a mobile shooter is the World of Tanks game.

Ter13 wrote:
Nintendo is responsible for 10/25 of the highest selling consoles of all time. If they are overrated, they aren't overrated on a proven track record of producing products people actually want.

That metric does not show what it has gone through. Look at the 2004 handheld generation, 236 Million PSP and NDS sold. Look at the current 3DS and Vita gen, 70 Million sold, even if they magically doubled in the next 5 years, they would still only be 140 Million. Which means that about 100 Million users moved away from the handheld console market.

I haven't mentioned anything about Nintendo gameplay.

So, I agree on your other points Ter13.
Page: 1 2