ID:2176100

BYOND Version:511.1363
Operating System:Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 54.0.2840.99
Applies to:Dream Maker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
I don't have a use case for this. I just noticed the funny warning.
world
mob = /mob/player

mob
Login()
src << "start"
A()
src << "finish"

proc
A()
set waitfor = FALSE

player
A()
// waitfor is inherited as FALSE,
set waitfor = TRUE // made apparent by removing this line
sleep 10
world << "child"

Expected: No compiler warning.

Actual: "warning: =: waitfor is now obsolete, since it is the default behavior"

"waitfor = TRUE" may be default behavior, but it's not the inherited behavior of player.A(), so it's not redundant.

Also, some of us don't believe that waitfor is obsolete, since spawn isn't much better in most cases.
It's waitfor=1 that's obsolete, not waitfor=0. I should change the warning message, but it's basically warning you that the behavior you're specifying is the default. (For the record, I don't intend to ever drop waitfor=0 support.)

However I believe you're incorrect about inheritance. I don't think mob/player/A() is meant to inherit waitfor from mob/A().
Whether it's meant to or not, it does. I didn't think it did either, but I tested it and waitfor does get inherited.
This inheritance is pretty widely depended upon at /tg/station.

This is why they think the warning is out of place, setting a waitfor = 0 proc back to waitfor = 1 shouldn't trigger a warning.
I'll have to take a look and see if I can figure out how the inheritance is setup. I agree it shouldn't deliver a warning in this circumstance, although I don't know if it's feasible for the compiler to look at the parent proc at the point where that's generated.