ID:2176164

BYOND Version:511.1363
Operating System:Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 54.0.2840.87
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Using client.fps causes rubberbanding and huge delays. Holding left, letting go, then pressing down will take up to a second or two to register properly.
Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Running the program on multiple machines.
Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
world
icon_size = 32
fps = 20
view = 7

var
statCap = 200
energyCap
battleCap
statGain = 2
energyGain
battleGain

client
fps = 60

Expected Results:
No rubberbanding or delays.
Actual Results:
Rubberbanding and delays.
Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
Every time.
In other games?
Untested.
In other user accounts?
Yes.
On other computers?
Yes.
When does the problem NOT occur?
Never.
Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
No it did not in earlier versions of 511.
Workarounds:
N/A.

Video showing the rubber-banding.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn7JulEZAAg

Entirety of the source code for this project.
https://github.com/YukenK/infinity
Rubberbanding? What do you mean by that?

Which 511 build did this start happening in? And do you have a test project?
He's got a video in the op.

This is a re-showing of the old bug where client's glide and the mob's glide get out of sync. To be more precise the mob jumps ahead to the next tile about half way thru the glide while the client continues the glide. I remember a bug report going up about that back in 509 or 508.

Seems to mainly happen if mob.glide_size and client.glide_size are both 0
I'll download the source and see if I can find anything. I thought the gliding issues were behind us by now. Gah.
That source isn't really helping me out. It doesn't appear to have the commands that you used from your verb panel in the video, and I'm not seeing any kind of sync issue in the glide. I'll need something more to go on than that.
In response to Lummox JR
That's because the code is a newer version than what was recorded - though the issue still seems to persist on my end.

Other than rubberbanding; what about delays? Try moving to the right, and then pressing the Down key as you're doing so. It seems to take a while to do... anything.

It's like you're sliding on ice.
The default movement system with key repeats may simply be inadequate for the FPS you're using. That would explain the ice thing.

The sync issue isn't something I was able to confirm with that demo, so if you can upload new code to clarify it, that would be a big help. The map is really too small, IMO, to see sync issues in action.
In response to Lummox JR
Firstly - could I have an example of a custom movement system that might be better?

And secondly, there is nothing really to demo. It just appears to happen on _any_ project I make with client-side framerate above the world's framerate.

In response to Lummox JR
After some testing, I've decided that it isn't the movement system. Once I properly implemented Forum_account's pixel movement system, the issues still occurred; it seems to be something with camera tracking, maybe glide sizes?
What I mean is, your demo doesn't really allow for enough room to move around to see gliding issues in action. It's not clear when I'm moving around that there's any tracking issue at all. The problem really needs to stand out a lot better.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
What I mean is, your demo doesn't really allow for enough room to move around to see gliding issues in action. It's not clear when I'm moving around that there's any tracking issue at all. The problem really needs to stand out a lot better.

BUMP! Lummox, I PMed you with a test source to see. It seems playing with the client-side fps causes that "rubber banding" and these weird delays with movement?