ID:2177070

(See the best response by Kaiochao.)
Problem description:
I would like to make some kind of creation screen in the beginning, and a character and skills screen later on that has inventory ect. My problem is that I can't seem to use big icons in a HUD style way without making the map resize itself leaving black space around the map. So how would I make a different screen that I can use to display choices or information using my own custom art or form? big icons seem to mess up everything so I can't figure out how to make any screens other then stat() tabs on the info window without messing up the map?
I'm confused man. It seems you have more than one problem at hand? Like, correct me if I'm wrong but you are having difficulty with Map scaling and so you want to make separate windows to govern character handling, skill trees & inventory systems.

Just a heads up... ..I haven't touched offscreen huds since like 2008 so this information may be a bit dated. haha.

Some of the things you talk of can be accomplished with using grids rather than stat panels. This library may be of use to you, not sure how it lives up today but I believe it helped me get familiar with grids:
http://www.byond.com/developer/GhostAnime/inv4

If you want a window to popup however, you might want to check out browse().
http://www.byond.com/docs/ref/info.html#/proc/browse
Sounds like you're using a screen_loc that is outside of the clients view.
Thanks for replying. :D I didn't really need any interface elements like stat and grids because I can get everything accomplished with HUD objects and browse proc makes everything look like a web page like SS13's character creation and it really wasn't very nice looking in my opinion.

I was looking for a character screen with a large picture of a scroll for a window with other pictures on top of it All HUD elements to make a nice seamless graphical window.

This is what happens when I add a HUD element bigger than 32x32.This example is from my title screen, but keep in mind this is only an example of how big icons added to client.screen change the map window and I'm not looking for a title screen I'm looking to build character, shop, settings windows ect general stuff out of client.screen or HUD elements.

This is what it looks like after client.screen = null

Is there a way to make a nice looking window out of client.screen added HUD elements without resizing the map?
In response to Zamargo
Best response
The HUD screen size extends to show icons that go past the edge of the screen. You can have HUD icons larger than 32x32 without the screen extending as long as they don't actually extend past the edges.

One way to prevent big icons from expanding the viewport (as long as they're smaller than the base view size) is to give them a screen_loc of "1,1" and position them using transform.
// bottom-left of the icon is at the bottom-left of the screen
o.screen_loc = "1,1"

// bottom-left of the icon is shifted px pixels right and py pixels up
o.transform = matrix(px, py, MATRIX_TRANSLATE)

// the above matrix is shorthand for:
var matrix/m = new
m.Translate(px, py)
o.transform = m
In response to Kaiochao
Thank you! I think this looks like exactly what I needed to keep me from messing with the viewport. Most of my problems when asking questions is that I'm not always sure how to phrase it or what it is I am actually looking for. Cheers for being so intuitive! So it is actually me accidently extending them past the viewport myself.

This will help me make my games look a lot cleaner!