ID:2190232

I don't know how to make titles for my posts..

Linux isn't easy for even a user who used to run MSDOS on my IBM PS/2. This is my third linux distribution installed in the many computers I have and I haven't got used to it after three years of using it (becauses I haven't had to install a billion apps for it and only used it for drawing). The thing is I WANT to get used to using it, even if I have to use wine to get the software I mainly use, but I can't if I have to go back to windows and thus...why use linux in the first place?

My tirade aside, I've followed the instructions for installing byond on the wine website..failed. Look through the other post about not able to run the pager on linux and followed some suggestions. Failed. Seems to me installing IE7 and IE8 is one of the problems because it comes up 404. So is the information here old? Now I'm not the only one that I'm trying to get byond to run on a linux distribution. While I have zorin 11, which I have on my laptop (the tablet is my work computer with ubuntu 15.10) my friend has zorin 12. This is to help her ease into using linux.

So...a few questions. Will byond be using appimage to help new users install software? I'm not particularly sure the weirdness around why byond haven't been build for linux yet. Seems easy as shit if not made to run massively better. You know...C++, python 3, blah blah blah...I know this question probably been asked a million times but if you don't mind reiterate why this isn't possible. I got everything work with wine, but not the pager? How about a pager builded for linux? It doesn't have to be for EVERY distribution, that's not the point, but to make it a little bit fool proof and the ability to backpedal in keeping it easy and functionable.
Windows and Linux are almost entirely different in how the back end works. Porting software between Windows and Linux, where that software was not designed from day one to be ported, is not an easy task. It's not impossible, but it's not the sort of thing Lummox wants to be focusing on, especially when Wine runs it mostly OK once configured properly.

In short: a Linux-native BYOND is almost certainly not going to happen, at least not in the foreseeable future. It working better on Wine, however, might be achievable without significant effort, though it might need to be done on the Wine side instead of the BYOND side (since most of the time, Windows's behaviour is the "correct" behaviour by definition, regardless of what that behaviour is)

Additionally, building for one Linux distribution pretty much makes a build that'll work with *any* distro; it's that first build that's hard, not the number of distros as such. Look at Steam; it took years to get anywhere near Linux, and now it runs on pretty much any Linux system you can think of, even ones Valve doesn't support - because Linux is pretty much the same thing underneath, the only thing distros change is default configurations and version numbers.

A significant fraction of Linux users will be comfortable with extracting a gzipped tar archive and running something like the standard `./configure; make; make build` on it. Those who aren't comfortable with that will likely be able to use packages for their distro created by those who are - if your distro is somewhat popular, it's likely at least one user has done this already, and it only takes one :)

What steps did you follow to install BYOND in Wine?

What happened when you did that? Where's this 404 you're mentioning coming from?

What happens if you try to launch BYOND?
Sorry for the time. Had to double check after dualbooting back into linux to check on if both steps farted. The two instructions I followed are both in WineHQ Byond 5.x. When trying to winetricks ie7 and ie8, they got this error shown below.

Resolving winezeug.googlecode.com (winezeug.googlecode.com)...
74.125.198.82, 2607:f8b0:4001:c06::52
Connecting to winezeug.googlecode.com
(winezeug.googlecode.com)|74.125.198.82|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2016-12-23 18:51:06 ERROR 404: Not Found.

This here is while running byond through the terminal.

fixme:thread:GetThreadPreferredUILanguages 56, 0x32fab4, 0x32fac8 0x32fabc
fixme:thread:GetThreadPreferredUILanguages 56, 0x32b41c, 0x32b430 0x32b424
fixme:module:load_library unsupported flag(s) used (flags: 0x00000060)
fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (0x32b1a8 (nil)): stub
fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
fixme:mountmgr:harddisk_ioctl Unsupported ioctl 74080 (device=7 access=1 func=20 method=0)
fixme:mountmgr:harddisk_ioctl Unsupported ioctl 2d1400 (device=2d access=0 func=500 method=0)
fixme:mountmgr:harddisk_ioctl Unsupported ioctl 74080 (device=7 access=1 func=20 method=0)
Hope this isn't a newbie mistake anywhere in trying to get byond to work on ubuntu 15.10 which is what zorin OS 11 is. I went to see what's up with "fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet" I thought it has to do with winbind but when downloading it, it's already installed into it. So when trying to run byond, the spash screen would show up and say, "loading game information" and it freezes. The same with another user on here. So I'm looking at a wall of data I have little to no understanding of what they are. Totally crashes if you try to minimize that spash screen. This happens on every different step, even installing byond raw.

I hope I'm not being bothersome. I am having some difficulties in many areas, like how the hell can I find "libilmimf.so.6" to use cinelerra. I'm not giving up on this complicated beast though. Just trying to figure out one problem at a time without stressing.