ID:2193526

It's been a while since I've tried my hand at making a BYOND game and the engine has clearly come a long way.

I see that about six years ago, Forum_Account made a library called PixelMovement to supplment BYOND's built-in pixel movement functionality. Is this library still necessary, or was the built-in pixel movement enhanced since the library was last released?

Are there any games on BYOND that use pixel movement well?

If you wanted to start a pixel-movement game today, where would you start?
http://www.byond.com/developer/Ter13/MoveLib

Native pixel movement skill kind of blows unless you spend some time writing helper functions to do common tasks.

The below gifs are using BYOND's native pixel movement foo augmented by my own helper library. You can decide for yourself whether they utilize it well.

just dont have big mobs lol
Airjoe wrote:
I see that about six years ago, Forum_Account made a library called PixelMovement to supplment BYOND's built-in pixel movement functionality.
Forum_account's Pixel Movement library was created before built-in pixel movement functionality, and was updated to take advantage of the added built-in features.

Is this library still necessary, or was the built-in pixel movement enhanced since the library was last released?
As far as built-in pixel movement goes, it's definitely still necessary to use/write a library that takes care of things like getting an atom's world pixel coordinates, moving an atom by a vector, enabling sub-pixel movements, better keyboard handling (e.g. move diagonally by holding two directions simultaneously), and things like update loops for "inertia" physics and other per-tick behaviors. It can also be convenient to forgo the built-in standing vs movement icon states flag and handle it yourself. Although difficult, custom pathfinding may also be necessary because the built-in pathfinding isn't very customizable. All of the above are implemented for you in Forum_account's Pixel Movement (and Sidescroller) library.

Are there any games on BYOND that use pixel movement well?
Most of Forum_account's games use pixel movement.
Yut Put's games use pixel movement.
Most (if not all) of my games use pixel movement (even from before it was built-in or FA's libraries existed, i.e. shootah); and also some under F0lak's hub, such as Hazordhu and Star Wars: Clone Corps in Space. I like to do my own thing, so I haven't used Forum_account's libraries to make anything, but I'm sure I could.

If you wanted to start a pixel-movement game today, where would you start?
The quickest way in is still probably to use Forum_account's libraries. Depending on the kind of game, there are a lot of demos in both Forum_account's Pixel Movement and Sidescroller libraries, and he also has an Action RPG Framework that uses Pixel Movement too.
I had 100-120 players running around with pixel movement, ai using default walk_to and running for like 20hours. didn't run into lag issues but saw some very weird things with icons turning invisible for people with large icons as their mob

I used an edited version of this: http://www.byond.com/developer/Ter13/EdgeSlideDemo and micro layered