The River Country

by Cited
The River Country
A Mature Roleplay set during the end of the Sengoku Jidai
ID:2194301

Happy Holidays!

With small amendments being applied to the map and new gameplay mechanics being implemented, I wanted to run through the notion of a player-run economy within The River Country.

A popular merchant highway leading from Kaga to the Eastern Outpost and onto Mima-Saka

Yet, before I begin I want to define exactly what I mean by ‘roleplay’ when discussing The River Country. For all intents and purposes, The River Country should be understood as a ‘life simulator’. The core objectives of the game are to immerse the player into fictional life, which is seen through the movements of their character(s), and subsequently develop that with relevant mechanics and occurrences.

Still, as fantastic as that sounds, it is still stylised and idealistic. A failure of ‘full/strict roleplay’ games can often be how detached they are from a community’s feelings and intentions. Another failure is the strict reliance on writing for entertainment, which, after some time, can become tiresome if not replaced with more active game mechanics that add a layer fun to writing.

A recently immigrated Ronin explores Mima-Saka's financial district with his daughter

With that, The River Country will utilise a complete player-run economy. What I mean by is that if a player’s character requires something, say well-cooked salmon caught in the rivers around Mima-Saka or a bokken for kenjutsu training, they must purchase it from another player’s character. NPCs who serve the world will be non-existent, trade will be completely ran by players who will make use of a gathering and crafting mechanic that is currently being implemented within The River Country.

Resource rich Northern Mountains, under the administration of Kaga's Government

I will not go into detail about the mechanic but the general idea, as stated, is to create a player-ran economy and in turn inspire politics within the world. An example of politics forming from a player-ran economy is trade blockades: Kaga, who administers a large mountain filled with resources including ores that allow the construction of offense weapons, may block the residents of Mima-Saka from mining within their mountains and, as a result, the residents of Mima-Saka are left without a means of gaining weapons unless a merchant from Kaga, who may have purposely hiked up the prices of such weapons, sells it to them.

A working class neighbourhood, Kaga

Though very simple, it is small political, economical and social occurrences like these that will shape the history of the River Country.

Be sure to sign up to the forums! If you have any questions do let me know. Changes will continue to occur until The River Country is ready for a soft launch.
Lookin' gooood.
Thanks, Yuki! The more I write these and think about the potential avenues of the world, the more I want to increase the map. It may seem big but the player shouldn't have a problem being able to move from A to B efficiently. I want to add more so there is some challenge. Equally, the addition of locations in another country would be interesting. Let's see!
Looks really nice.