ID:2194530

BYOND Version:511.1364
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 55.0.2883.87
Applies to:Dream Daemon

A member of our crack team of bug testers has verified that this issue is reproducible, and has handed it off to the development team for investigation.
Exporting modified types to a savefile fails with a bad output.

These things are far too useful to not be able to be dumped to and loaded from savefiles.
Curious. I'll have to look into what's going on with that.
I'm not able to reproduce this. This is what I'm testing:

mob/verb/ModSave()
fdel("testmods.sav")
var/savefile/S = new("testmods.sav")
var/O = new/obj{name="Frank"}()
S << O
fdel("testmods.txt")
S.ExportText("/","testmods.txt")

The save does not produce a "bad output" message and the text version looks correct--although it is not a modified type in the savefile, just a normal obj with the var set.
Lummox JR changed status to 'Unverified'
I'm sorry I didn't get to this sooner, but the code you tested isn't a test case for this problem.

mob/verb/ModSave()
fdel("testmods.sav")
var/savefile/S = new("testmods.sav")
var/O = /obj{name="Frank"}
S << O
fdel("testmods.txt")
S.ExportText("/","testmods.txt")
Can I get this confirmed?
I can confirm this. I see where it's happening and, thanks to what I was working on with the map foo, I can see why.

The problem is that a modified type is not the same object type as other type paths; it's a POP_REF, referring to a map pop, and a pop is basically a type path plus init proc combination.

The current savefile format offers no way of saving a pop; it would have to convert the pop's init proc to a var/value list and then save a new kind of indicator that it was a pop. On load it'd have to create a new pop by creating the requisite init proc (unless it found a match).

Upping the savefile version isn't something I take lightly, though, because currently there's no mechanism to force it into a new version only when new features are used. (If I up it outright, the problem then becomes that anyone using 512 suddenly can't drop back down to 511, ever, and their savefiles become incompatible with other servers running 511.) That might be something I can add; I'll have to see. It's definitely due for an upgrade because the appearance code has changed so much.
Lummox JR changed status to 'Verified'