ID:2200940

Resolved
Sending output to a hidden output control caused it to appear.
BYOND Version:510
Operating System:Windows 10 Home
Web Browser:Chrome 55.0.2883.87
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary: Invisible output boxes become visible when a new line is added

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem: make 2 output boxes. hide them. input to one. the one that was inputted to becomes visible

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results: It only becomes visible when told to by winset

Actual Results: It becomes visible

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?yes
In other games?yes
In other user accounts?yes
On other computers?yes

When does the problem NOT occur?

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

Workarounds:

I'm hoping this isn't a bug and that there is some way around it because im not too great with interfaces
Demo project?
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
Sending output to a hidden output control caused it to appear.
How do these fixes work, as in, does the host only have to have the build downloaded, or all the players as well?
I dont think so. The game being hosted has to be compiled in the BYOND version in which the fix has been implemented. The other players don't need to have that BYOND version.
This is a client-side fix, so players need it; the server doesn't.
In response to Kidpaddle45
Kidpaddle45 wrote:
I dont think so. The game being hosted has to be compiled in the BYOND version in which the fix has been implemented. The other players don't need to have that BYOND version.

That is almost never true. The only time that kind of case applies is when there's a fix to the way the compiler produces bytecode for a given thing, like for instance try/throw/catch problems that were fixed in some past builds. Then and only then does the compiler version matter.

Server-side fixes require the server to use the updated version. Client-side fixes require the client to use the updated version. And a number of fixes, though not as many, require both.
this started happening again
Dang. The Options & Messages fix (that broke because of the fix to this issue) must have undone it. I'll have to come up with another workaround that can respect both cases.
This will be re-fixed in 511.1373.
Awesome, thanks