Ok so you all know how you got a million and one turfs and you got those nice lil edges on the pathways scattered all over and its a hassle making em for each turf? well you can skip doing that with this trick.
req:32x32 or bigger icon, and photoshop
1. make a new document 32x32 or whatever size you need
2. copy paste the icon in then goto define pattern under the edit menu give it a name and save the pattern if you wish. (repeat this for grass,dirt, whatever ground textures you need)
3. open a new document make it whatever size you want but id go with say a 96x96 for a nice lil dirt patch.
4. goto the pattern stamp tool it right under the paintbrush tool and select the pattern you made.
5. paint a nice like random shaped thing you want but if you want to take it up a notch with randomness mess around in the brush preset are to add scattering dual brush etc.
6. right click on the nice lil dirt patch you made and click blending options and add a nice inner shadow and tweak the opacity so it looks like the edge of the shape is kind darkened by the grass.
7. Wala now you can paint away nicely preset preshadowed dirt patches or grass patches or whatever and make nice paths and dirt mounts and dunes etc. Do note you could technically do huge chunks of predesigned map this way, but if you do might wanna break it up otherwise massive lag will come when opening the map and possibly when hosting the game as it will have to load up this huge image for the map.
8. You can add new layers and paint more stuff on top and go nuts
So hopefully this trick helps make some people awesome dope maps.
Jan 30 2017, 12:25 pm