ID:2208147

Not Feasible
Applies to:Website

Implementing this feature is not possible now or in the foreseeable future
The website needs oauth2 support. https://oauth.net
And what does that even accomplish? There's no public API...
It would be the API.
Generally, when making suggestions you do more than state the request, there's usually something along the lines of context and whatnot.

As it stands, this suggestion means absolutely nothing.
@Nadrew:

This is a rehash of an oft-rejected feature request to be able to verify a user's BYOND key for use/verification on external sites and applications.
You can already do that with creative usage of the web-client, or DMCGI if you have access to it.
Using the webclient in that way is really hacky though.

DMCGI is just... eh. At least some documentation on how DMCGI works.
It's probably the best we're going to get, proper off-site authentication has been suggested and shot down many times in the past as Ter noted; there's simply no feasible way for them to do it in a way that wouldn't cost a ton more development time than the result would be worth.
Nadrew resolved issue (Not Feasible)
I already offered to help byond implement this as donated time/effort like, 3 years ago.

It could easily be done in a two way fashion, so that byond is a oauth provider and a oauth client (the latter being something lummox has expressed a strong interest in), allowing people to sign in to byond with their steam/google/facebook account and allowing people to sign in to other websites with their byond account.

The webclient and the dmcgi methods are insecure because it doesn't give the user any interface to revoke a login unless the site asks the user to re-login every session
In response to MrStonedOne
MrStonedOne wrote:
I already offered to help byond implement this as donated time/effort like, 3 years ago.

It could easily be done in a two way fashion, so that byond is a oauth provider and a oauth client (the latter being something lummox has expressed a strong interest in), allowing people to sign in to byond with their steam/google/facebook account and allowing people to sign in to other websites with their byond account.

The webclient and the dmcgi methods are insecure because it doesn't give the user any interface to revoke a login unless the site asks the user to re-login every session

Not entiiirely true, dmcgi is theoretically revokable by the hub IIRC
Yes, DMCGI logins can be revoked by the hub, as they're authenticated by Dream Daemon just like an actual login.
There is no mechanism for the website to ask if a auth is still valid unless the entire website lives on dmcgi (something that just isn't practical)

This is important for any account api.
I've been pushing for account API stuff for ages, but I make the best of the alternatives I've got. I don't really foresee Lummox devoting any real effort to something like this anytime soon.

Your offer to help doesn't mean much, considering it would require providing you access to various things that you're just not going to be getting access to.
Nadrew wrote:
Your offer to help doesn't mean much, considering it would require providing you access to various things that you're just not going to be getting access to.

Harsh way to respond to people volunteering their time/know-how.
This has honestly been kind of half on, half off the list for a long time. The problem is I haven't seen a convincing case for prioritizing it.

Tom and I have talked about this kind of thing on and off for years. But it's hard to throw the time into it when I can't see a broad benefit picture.
Actually on the subject of helping out, the biggest way to help things like this along is to point me in the direction of some implementation code, some simple explanations breaking down the whole process, etc. I always find specs like this maddening to wrap my head around, and the people who document them tend to be terrible at it.

So I greatly appreciate any assistance in learning these technologies and specs, any sources of info that come from people who can explain things clearly and point out what I need to do in a straightforward and logical way.
Apologies, I was rushing that reply and didn't mean for it to come off as mean as it did. I meant it as a general, "those kinds of inner workings are off-limits for a very good reason" not a "we don't trust this guy because he's shady" thing.

I meant to submit this reply sooner but got distracted by another window. Sorry again, definitely a mean post unintentionally.
We still love you, BYONDHagrid Nadrew.
Just stay the hell out of my shack... and my forest, and my beard. God damn kids.
Page: 1 2 3