One simple solution: Make published games appeared on the ranking... Or maybe an option to see pub./unpub. ranks (with pub. being default) >_>
Jaredoggy wrote:
SILK ISN'T ANGRY I AM GRRR

LOL @ GRAMMUR

Sarm wrote:
While it sounds simple, that process is slower than is desirable. A person has to want to change before he'll start to do it, and if he doesn't think there's anything wrong with himself (which can be common) then he'll see no benefit, no goal, no reason to change.

Yes, by no means was I underestimating the length of time such a notion would take, and realistically speaking, not everybody will contribute a game of high quality, but as long as quality games are around and quality ideas, the average users will have something to work towards. There is no simple fix, and the ranking system is just a symptom of the overlying problem: lack of quality. Note: not everybody will perceive this as a problem.

On a positive note, I am looking forward to Acheron's Awakening, and I've yet to play Ultimatum, but I've heard great things about it - my point isn't that quality is absent absolutely.
NBOTLS is a rip people only play it cause its fast leveling, i guess retards like everything easy and not the fun of getting a new suriprise at a new level or whatever
Grahf:
the ranking system is just a symptom of the overlying problem: lack of quality

Read a couple of the comments below this. The problem is not a lack of quality; in fact, there's a lot of quality games burried right now, which are no longer hosted, ranked, or even known about. Red Cap is a good example of an excellent game which no one even knows about anymore.

The real 'problem' is that Naruto fans are actively seeking out Naruto games, and comming to BYOND because of it. However, that's a fact which the BYOND community isn't using to it's full advantage. The BYOND community needs to grab these new players, who are the life blood of our future community, and expose them to the rest of the site. A large flow of new people is a GOOD thing, the problem is that we don't have a strategy to expose them to good games and the developer section.

Next time you talk to a Naruto fan, just spam them with links to Plunder Gnome, or your own favorite game.

...But preferably Plunder Gnome.
wtf is a naruto?
I think it's a cross-breed from that one DWO girl and a Zora princess.
IainPeregrine Wrote:
Read a couple of the comments below this. The problem is not a lack of quality; in fact, there's a lot of quality games burried right now, which are no longer hosted, ranked, or even known about. Red Cap is a good example of an excellent game which no one even knows about anymore.

My argument wasn't that quality didn't exist on BYOND, as seen here:

"On a positive note, I am looking forward to Acheron's Awakening, and I've yet to play Ultimatum, but I've heard great things about it - my point isn't that quality is absent absolutely."

It more to the fact that the majority of games on BYOND are close to crap, and that the average BYONDer tends to play crappy games, which parallels with your statements and the ones below.

Exposing the quality games is only part of it, since the average player doesn't appreciate quality. BYOND needs to be exposed to a wider array of quality players and developers.

Quality games = more quality players = more quality people becoming developers = Quality games.
narootoe r 4 bedweting kidz lolol.
Perhaps we should all get together and organize something to attract people to the good games.
Grahf wrote:
Perhaps we should all get together and organize something to attract people to the good games.

Why do that when you can just spend your time ranting about how the system sucks instead?
Tom wrote:
Why do that when you can just spend your time ranting about how the system sucks instead?

Because it makes sense to first identify the problem and then to do something to fix it? Also, by doing this, you can gather people with similar thoughts and ideas to work with.
Tom wrote:

When the system gets worse after five years rather than better, I think that a bit of ranting is in order. Naruto Birth of the Legendary Shinobi being the #1 ranked game on BYOND is the summation of all of your hardwork; congratulations.
Grahf wrote:
Tom wrote:

Because it makes sense to first identify the problem and then to do something to fix it? Also, by doing this, you can gather people with similar thoughts and ideas to work with.

*makes the noise of something flying over Grahf's head...

multiple times*
Vortezz wrote:
*makes the noise of something flying over Grahf's head...

multiple times*

Considering I'm one of the only ones offering to do something about it, and then Tom decides to give me attitude; I think he deserves a bit of attitude back. Or maybe we should all sit here like retarded monkeys and let things degenerate?
I think it was just a general bit of sarcasm, rather than anything directed at you (even though he quoted you), since it's not like you said anything hostile in the post he quoted.

Regardless of a person's opinion of the ranking system, sitting there and listening to people bitch and bitch and bitch about how something you've worked on sucks after 7(?) years of effort would be quite demoralizing.

Personally, I think people rant about it BECAUSE they feel like there's nothing they can do to change it. If everyone honestly believed something was salvagable, they'd be trying it already.
I realize it was sarcasm, but I was one of the few offering to find a solution; therefore, I didn't think it was necessary.

This isn't about salvaging the ranking system; it's more so directed at giving the better games the attention they deserve. A first step might be to organize a group of reviewers to review the better games, and then perhaps BYOND can create a "Review" section for the site. Then we can post the link to the review site in various places to let people know what they're missing.
Unless I'm mistaken, I think a player-submitted review system was in the works. I'd like to see a way to look up previous reviews from the same player, because it would be handy for finding out why someone likes or dislikes a particular game by looking at games with different reviews. Maybe a rating system for reviews, like the generic "Was this review helpful to you?" thing you see on Amazon.com.

Or maybe you could tie the ranking system in with player reviews? Adding a game to your favorites involves writing a review, and the "worth" of a thumbs up depends on the number of positive feedback scores received for the review (capped out by what position it is in your favorites), or something like that...

Maybe it wouldn't be much better than what's here now, but I don't know what else I could suggest to change it. :/
Grahf wrote:
I realize it was sarcasm, but I was one of the few offering to find a solution; therefore, I didn't think it was necessary.

My apologies, Grahf. I thought you made a very good post and was merely being jocular. Next time I will add a smiley.

The rankings are a reflection of popularity, nothing more. If people want to change the system, they need to direct people to the higher quality games. We used to do a thing among the early developers here where we'd have regular meetings to try out the different games, and I don't see why this wouldn't work among other groups. That is one of the motivations behind the guilds, although I concur that that project is currently incomplete and slow-going.

We are working on some different things to try to better categorize the community so that, while the DBZ (or Naruto or whatever it is) fanboys can have their fun, they won't encroach upon other groups who find their material trite or immature.
Yeah, it's no problem Tom. I took it a bit too seriously at the time.

Once the review system is implemented we should advertise the better games, along with the reviews, at various gaming sites. This should certainly increase the likelihood of encouraging decent developers to join up, and it will also attract players to the better games.

If there's anything I can do, e-mail me at: [email protected]
Page: 1 2 3 4