ID:2211584

Code:
obj/scrobj
MouseDrag()//needs to be created so that you can drag objects on the screen where you want them.
icon='Test.dmi'
var//purpose of this is to simplify repositioning and movement of screen objects in game.
scr_x=1
scr_y=1
scr_xx=0
scr_yy=0
scr_dir1="SOUTH"
scr_dir2="WEST"
scr_type=2//type 2 is the default.
can_move=1//if the object can be repositioned, mostly for dragging purposes.
proc
SetScr()//used to set and update the screen position based on screen obj type.
switch(scr_type)
if(1)
screen_loc="[scr_dir1]+[scr_x]:[scr_xx],[scr_dir2]+[scr_y]:[scr_yy]"
if(2)
screen_loc="[scr_x]:[scr_xx],[scr_y]:[scr_yy]"
if(3)
screen_loc="1:[scr_xx],1:[scr_yy]"//bottom left. uses the scr_xx to place.

GetAbs()
var/xx=round((scr_x*32)+scr_xx)//,1:[scr_yy]"//bottom left. uses the scr_xx to place.
var/yy=round((scr_y*32)+scr_yy)
world<<"[xx] by [yy]"

AbsX()
if(scr_type==3)scr_x=0
return round((scr_x*32)+scr_xx)
AbsY()
return round((scr_y*32)+scr_yy)

Shift(var/xx_amt=0,var/yy_amt=0,var/x_amt=0,var/y_amt=0)
switch(scr_type)
if(1)
scr_x+=x_amt
scr_y+=y_amt
scr_xx+=xx_amt
scr_yy+=yy_amt
screen_loc="[scr_dir1]+[scr_x]:[scr_xx],[scr_dir2]+[scr_y]:[scr_yy]"
if(2)
scr_x+=x_amt
scr_y+=y_amt
scr_xx+=xx_amt
scr_yy+=yy_amt
screen_loc="[scr_x]:[scr_xx],[scr_y]:[scr_yy]"
if(3)
scr_xx+=xx_amt
scr_yy+=yy_amt
screen_loc="0:[scr_xx],0:[scr_yy]"

ConvertPerc(wh)
if(istext(wh))
.//forgot what i was going to do here.
else
var/xx=(wh+1)*32
var/yy=(wh+1)*32
var/x_perc=AbsX()/xx
world<<"[x_perc]%"

mob
verb
AddScr()
var/obj/scrobj/j=new
j.SetScr()
client.screen+=j

ShiftLeft()
for(var/obj/scrobj/x in client.screen)
x.Shift(-32,0,0,0)
usr<<"[x.GetAbs()]"
ShiftRight()
x.Shift(32,0,0,0)
usr<<"[x.GetAbs()]"
ShiftUp()
x.Shift(0,32,0,0)
usr<<"[x.GetAbs()]"
ShiftDown()
x.Shift(0,-32,0,0)
usr<<"[x.GetAbs()]"

SeePercentX()
x.ConvertPerc(client.view)

Problem description:
End goal of this will be to re-position screen objects on re-size of the window by way of calculating the % position of the object on the screen.

F Ex: I have a 10x10 view, and my health hud resides at 1,8, then the x% is 10% while the y% is 80%.

This set of code will grab the new maximized window size, convert it into %age, then "reset" the screen objects to the percent they should be at.
//F Ex 2:
860 = 8.6 pixels =1%, 86 px = 10%

And if needed apply scaling (but that's pretty simple to implement thus saving it for last)

This method is for games where a uniform view among all players isn't necessary.But it could also be used for stretch to sh*t--err fit, games as well.

If anyone would like to modify the MouseDrag so that you can drag objs around the screen without a ton of trouble(or at all), I say go for it.

Edit:
Also, I'm not looking for alternative links on how to solve this problem, I've already seen most of them, they just seem needlessly complex--I'm simply interested in examples on how this can be used to mousedrag screen objects.

If you like or want to use the above code, feel free as well.
good job
thanks
Avidanimefan wrote:
I've already seen most of them, they just seem needlessly complex

Sometimes they get complex because it's not a simple problem to solve fully in some cases.

The way BYOND displays map information can get pretty annoying because anchors are based on the outside boundaries of the viewport, but the player sees the information based on the outside boundaries of the map element.

This causes what's called an overscan value that you need to account for if you are using screen edge anchoring.

Most of the complicated solutions account for this overscan, which is why they appear complicated.

It's actually a pretty irritating little problem that's unique to DM because almost no other game engine exposes screen coordinates that don't directly correlate to the information displayed to the user based on what they can actually see.
I solve this issue by anchoring HUDs to the middle of the screen instead of the edges. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯