ID:2214174

On the left is how 12pt Consolas looks in the editor. On the right is how it looks as maptext.

I think you can quite clearly see one doesn't look very nice and the other looks fine.

Why exactly is that the case and is it possible for either me to improve it by changing my code or is it possible to see it get patched?

Thank you.
Still interested in this. Very relevant to what I'm trying to do. Not much point in continuing if I know the text quality isn't going to be there.
One thing to be aware of is that you're comparing GDI to DirectX. The text in Dream Maker is drawn with regular GDI routines and therefore uses ClearType. You can see that quite clearly by the color distortion. ClearType takes advantage of the way LCD displays work to deliver 3x the horizontal resolution.

ClearType isn't available for DirectX for many reasons, and doubly so when you consider that the text could be rotated, which would royally screw up the effect from the color distortion.
It should also be noted that cleartype cannot be disabled per-application on Windows. This is why games use bitmap fonts rather than TTFs --because anti-aliased fonts look like shit at low resolutions.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
It should also be noted that cleartype cannot be disabled per-application on Windows. This is why games use bitmap fonts rather than TTFs --because anti-aliased fonts look like shit at low resolutions.

Anti aliased fonts look much better than cleartyped ones at low resolution
Well thanks for the response. I was hoping to be able to right click & drag on text like clicking on an object in game.

Nevermind. I can use links to get something similar but not as good. It's a nice thought but restriction can breed invention.
Excuse the double post, this is what I've gone with instead. client.Topic()

It gets the basics done.