SilkWizard wrote:
The "fan games bring users in" argument doesn't hold water in my opinion.

I'm sure that there are illegal immigrants in this country who will one day contribute to society in a big way. Does that mean that we should just throw open the gates to our borders and allow anyone in, hoping that a few of them might someday contribute?

Maybe you misunderstand something, Silk, BYOND is a two-sided community. For this community to work, we need game players, and game makers. Generally, the people that become makers started as players, but sometimes, people who want to make games, find BYOND right off the bat.

The illegal immigrants comment has NOTHING to do with this situation. We SHOULD throw open the gates, and let whoever wants in, in. Because of the availability of free source code, and the games that are prevalent, we do have a problem. One that is largely overexaggerated.

The Naruto and DBZ players aren't ruining the community. It's been about the same for the last four years, and I honestly don't think it's going to change.

The only thing that's changed is the sophistication of a lot of the games that are being made, and the software itself.

I've seen better games being made the last few years, and it's only improving. Frankly, I think this has all been blown out of proportion, and I'm getting tired of hearing about it, and I think a lot of others are too.

(No offense or attack intended, just my thoughts on the matter.)
Good God Ter, you ignored everything that I wrote. You don't win an argument by simply saying "you're wrong". What I've said stands.

> Frankly, I think this has all been blown out of proportion, and I'm getting tired of hearing about it, and I think a lot of others are too.

Frankly, this discussion was over a couple days ago. If you're tired of hearing about it then don't read it.
IainPeregrine wrote:
Xzdog himself released the Izou source, so do the 'rippers' do wrong by using it.

Uh, No I didnt release it. Get your facts straight. I gave it to someone who was helping the game out and it back fired, they got pissed off and released the source. (Raines did it)
I still think the BYOND Ranking system is nice, even if exploitable. It uses the 'wisdom of crowds' idea, which is proven to work.
You can see it working in many Web 2.0 startups, like digg or Newsvine. Even though it is easy to exploit, it's always a risk that requires more fine-tuning. Digg has changed their algorithm for things that reach the front page about 4 times now.
"It uses the 'wisdom of crowds' idea, which is proven to work."

When? Where? Look throughout history at all the times democracy has failed as a result of internal degeneration.

Look at the modern music industry and tell me that the wisdom of the crowd idea works here and why.

Everybody isn't capable of providing relevant insight on issues. Some are inherently more capable than others.
So what you're saying is we should drop the democratic approach and have the BYOND admins do more work by controlling the ranks themselves?
Page: 1 2 3 4 5