ID:2241401

BYOND Version:511.1381
Operating System:Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 58.0.3029.81
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Some gamepads are reporting values of 0.375 instead of 1.0 (and -0.375 instead of -1.0) for all axes.

I'm still using an Xbox One controller. Other people have claimed the same issue, but I didn't hear what controllers they were using.

According to my tests, this issue first appeared in 1370. (I haven't touched gamepad stuff since January...?)
http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=2203976#comment22035322

He never responded to the first part of my comment so I just started using values between -0.37 and 0.37 for my projects.

Can confirm that this holds true for both my DS4 controllers and my Rock Candy 360 controller.
Yut Put mentioned this is an issue as well. I really don't understand it. In particular I have not seen this issue with a DualShock 4 controller; I get correct results from it.

What's weirder to me is that this shouldn't even be possible. DirectInput has configuration properties that set the analog range for each stick, and I'm using those.
Update?
I haven't had a chance to look into this yet, although I'm not expecting to be able to reproduce it. I did actual tests with the DualShock4 and did not see this issue come up with that controller.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
I haven't had a chance to look into this yet, although I'm not expecting to be able to reproduce it. I did actual tests with the DualShock4 and did not see this issue come up with that controller.

It's been awhile since I've tested, but I'm pretty sure this issue was happening with my DS4. I'll set up a test environment later today to retest and make sure that's still the case. Do you have any other controllers available to you? Kaio and I both use Microsoft (X360 and XOne respectively) controllers for most of our testing, so it might be worth it for you to pick up one of those ~$20 Rock Candy wired 360 gamepads for testing if not.
I don't have a 360 controller, but I might consider getting one if it shows the issue. I'll try a retest with my DS4 first of course.
Can't verify this on a DS4 controller. Please retest that controller to see if you still have the issue. If you do, then I wonder if something on your system might be different (e.g., emulation software for gamepads, or something of that sort). If it only happens on a Rock Candy 360 controller, I'd like to know that too.
Sorry I took so long. I can confirm that 0.37 and -0.37 are the maximum axis values being sent on the Rock Candy 360 controller.
What about your DS4 controller? I retested mine and could not reproduce with that controller, but I'd like to know if you see the same thing I do or if your DS4 acts like your Rock Candy 360.
Sorry, DS4 is a little harder to test because my Bluetooth dongle broke and I have to fight the wife and kid for control of the usb cord. I'll try to test by the end of the day
Just tested with DS4, it's grabbing different input than the 360 controller was but it still is not going above 0.40 or below -0.40.

Edit:
Up

Down

Left

Right
Since your DS4 and mine show such hugely different results, is it possible there's software on your system that's interfering? Maybe something that came with the Rock Candy controller?
Sounds like some kind of dead zone setting in play somewhere.
The dead zone is being set, though. Dead zone is set to 0 for all analog sticks and triggers, so that the dead zone can be handled internally.
In response to Lummox JR
I have a program installed that makes it emulate a 360 controller for games that don't have DS4 support, but I keep it turned off when not in use. I think I had to install a driver when I first used the Rock Candy.
My Xbox 360 controller is giving similar results. At very precise angles I've managed to top out the input at 0.404849. Basically just holding off on Gamepad controls until a fix is in.
What will help speed this along is if you can identify anything on your system that might interfere with joystick input such that when removed, the gamepad values are normal. Either that, or if you can identify any info on Google that suggests why min/max range values set by DirectInput might be ignored.
In response to Lummox JR
I can't speak for anyone else here, but I have no idea what your implementation of DirectInput looks like. For that matter, I have no idea what the internals of BYOND look like and I have no idea how to even use DirectInput. Like I said before, 360 controllers have some sort of driver that needs installed -- other than that, I really, really doubt that all of the people with this issue just happen to mysteriously have the same program installed on their machine. Here is a link to the software / drivers.

I honestly tried to find some sort of solution for you because you seem like you're getting pretty stressed out / fed up with this problem, but I couldn't find shit and what I did find I didn't exactly understand super well. Sorry, I tried!