ID:2242402

Hello there.

I've created a game that almost exclusively uses interfaces and I had a few questions regarding them.

1 - Is there a limit to how many interface windows can be created in the editor?

2 - Does the number of interface windows create/contribute client/server side lag?

3 - Do you need to pre-load/load the interface icons for the player before they play the game? I've had some people test it and they report back stating that some of the interfaces are missing, or some of the buttons are black, and other strange glitches and display problems.

I would very much like the most help with question 3, if possible, and the problem associated with it.

Many thanks.

Using a ton of interface objects is bad performance. I've learned this the hard way from experience, especially if you're doing it over map objects.

http://recordit.co/3uLko4RVX6
(Notice how things just take forever loading up.)
The only part that would hurt performance is putting the elements on top of the map. Otherwise your interface shouldn't cause any issues. Even interface files with massive amounts of stuff in them should barely cause a CPU or memory hit.
In response to Nadrew
I don't think its about bad CPU performance, mostly about loading it can take awhile for skin interface elements to load up after awhile they become super laggy
I've never had that issue and I work with some pretty complicated interfaces.
1 - Is there a limit to how many interface windows can be created in the editor?

Yes and no. Windows has an upper limit for widgets. That number is insanely high on all modern versions of windows. Basically, don't worry about it.

Does the number of interface windows create/contribute client/server side lag?

Client, sort of. Basically don't worry about it until you run into problems.

Do you need to pre-load/load the interface icons for the player before they play the game? I've had some people test it and they report back stating that some of the interfaces are missing, or some of the buttons are black, and other strange glitches and display problems.

These would have to be addressed on a case-by-case basis.

Are you using a loop to call winset() a ton of times at once?

If you need to show a bunch of controls at once, you should do it with a single winset() call.