ID:2246309

Applies to:Installer

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Please include a build of the installer without the DirectX installation step, I don't feel like waiting 5 minutes for it to run something I already know I have every time I update.
Installing an update takes me around a minute, if it even is a minute. Perhaps you'd be better off with a new SSD/Hard drive?
^Before the DirectX installation step was added, which is done with every update, it took, at most, 30 seconds for the install to complete with the DirectX added. After it was added, it takes 2-5 minutes for an update to complete on average. (This is on two of my computers, both of which are relatively new). I don't see it as that big an issue, but it's really tedious from time to time.
Laser50 said:
Installing an update takes me around a minute, if it even is a minute.

This. (My computer is old, too.)

I agree with the OP though. The installer should completely skip the DirectX step if the computer has a sufficient version already, if not what the OP suggested.
In response to Laser50
Laser50 wrote:
Installing an update takes me around a minute, if it even is a minute. Perhaps you'd be better off with a new SSD/Hard drive?

Sure, I'm better off with a new computer entirely, but that doesn't mean I can actually get one.

You can always just use the archived version instead of the installer.
This seems off, even my laptop on its slow ass hard drive and ddr2 ram and dual core slow cpu seems to only take a moment to do the install directx before directx notices nothing needs to be installed.

I bet what I'm using is older, but even on my now deceased laptop it would take 2-3 minutes for the 'updating directx' step, sometimes longer.
its most likely the 8dot3 name generation. the biggest thing that installer has to do is search for a few files in a few folders. Windows generating the 8dot3 filenames can slow down getting a list of files in a folder if it's a big folder, and some of those files are in system32.

Even just a -skipdx flag for it would work for me, it's more a problem when there's releases happening often that are worth not skipping like now. Normally it's not a big deal though.
I'll add it myself even (I did help write the installer), I think NSIS works on older computers pretty decently still =P
if you aren't running msdos applications (even standard cli apps aren't msdos, so you most likely aren't.) you might want to just disable 8dot3 name generation.

From and admin command prompt, just do this: "fsutil.exe behavior set disable8dot3 1" and reboot.

Watch as your world opens up. (its one of the first things I do)

Edit: as an aside, you can kill the dx installer using task man and byond just continues fine. It's what i did back when it was much longer at the beginning of that being included in the installer.