ID:2248100

BYOND Version:511.1384
Operating System:Linux
Web Browser:Firefox 53.0
Applies to:Dream Daemon

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
The server crashes when calling malloc() improperly.
Stacktrace and memory map for debugging: https://hastebin.com/raw/azosofufir

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Start server.
2. Let players play on server for a few minutes.
3. Crash.

Sorry, as a developer I know that's unhelpful, but I really am unsure what exactly happens. I'm unable to reproduce this with just 1 or 2 players, and with many players I have no way of knowing who/what exactly caused it, if it'd even be obvious anyway. Hopefully the hastebin link above is helpful.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Yes, after 5-10 minutes.
In other games? N/A
In other user accounts? N/A
On other computers? Yes.

When does the problem NOT occur?
With only one player doing things.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? Can reproduce in all 511 versions.

Workarounds:
None known.

I had originally assumed this was a latent effect of http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=2245438 but I'm not actually 100% sure, so I'm reporting it here. It might be related.
Are you able to get a new valgrind log for this like you did for the last issue? The malloc failing is probably because something else got corrupted, and that's where attention needs to be focused.
Actually now that I see the other thread, I suspect there's nothing new here. The fix I put up is incomplete.
Doing valgrind on this would be a little more difficult since valgrind increases run time exponentially. "Playing" for the 10 minutes to maybe get a crash would take like 10 hours. They advertise that it increases run time by 20-30x, which I find pretty accurate.

I can now say that I still get the appearance corruption every few server starts, though. The problem of adding an overlay and having it not show up in the list of overlays and ending up with a "weird" turf still exists.

Maybe this should just be put in the other thread.