ID:2255777

Concerning BYOND's .exe conversion, if I was to this would I have to recreate my save/load system completely? Are keys made obsolete?

If possible, is there somewhere where I can read up on this?
The exe program still allows you to use keys. You can always make your own account system if you want, there's nothing stopping you.
So it'd be BYOND keys which would be used? What about using:

src.key || usr.key

Within the code? If keys were removed, would that pose a problem?
...yes

I don't know what you're really asking here. BYOND will never manually remove support for keys. If you want to write your own account system you're free to do so, but it's not like the keys magically get ripped out of the engine.
BYONDexe has a launcher (optional, but enabled by default) that includes the ability to log into a BYOND key, as well as register a new one. When not logged in, users use a "Guest-###" key, where the number is their client.computer_id, which is unique to the physical computer and is difficult (but not impossible) to change.

If your save/load system uses keys, then you would need to change that. It shouldn't take a rewrite, just replace every occurrence of "key" with some other form of identification.
In response to Kaiochao
Kaiochao wrote:
BYONDexe has a launcher (optional, but enabled by default) that includes the ability to log into a BYOND key, as well as register a new one. When not logged in, users use a "Guest-###" key, where the number is their client.computer_id, which is unique to the physical computer and is difficult (but not impossible) to change.

If your save/load system uses keys, then you would need to change that. It shouldn't take a rewrite, just replace every occurrence of "key" with some other form of identification.

++
If I've sent an email to BYOND support concerning BYOND to exe and haven't received a response after a couple of days, am I to assume that my request has been denied?

The advice on the keys helped - I've added in my own form of identification.
I think "BYOND support" is just Lummox at this point. I'd give it awhile. :p
I asked for BYONDexe for Dragon Universe and was denied, which makes zero sense, because since when does a Game Engine tell devs what they are allowed to make? It's bad enough my game isn't allowed on the hub but you won't let me take it elsewhere either? WTF!!! No other engine does this and it objectively makes no sense.
In response to Tens of DU
Tens of DU wrote:
I asked for BYONDexe for Dragon Universe and was denied, which makes zero sense, because since when does a Game Engine tell devs what they are allowed to make? It's bad enough my game isn't allowed on the hub but you won't let me take it elsewhere either? WTF!!! No other engine does this and it objectively makes no sense.

BYOND can't and doesn't control what you make with the engine. BYONDexe is a separate application which access is granted to developers on a case-by-case basis; it's not part of the publicly usable engine suite, it's private. How is this an issue?

Also, nothing is stopping you from directly linking the byond://ip:port on outside sources, all the players would need to do is install the pager and allow the application to be launched from their browser, not an ideal solution, but it helps, I guess.
In response to Tens of DU
Tens of DU wrote:

Like I said yesterday before the Nazi's removed it.

It used to be free for everyone to use back in 2011 it was built into dream maker. But with people like this dickhead above me, and the ones who bash fan games but can't make anything better they're afraid people will stop associating themselves with the site and leave it behind while using nothing but its engine which is pretty fair to be honest.

However since it's gone we have to sit here, let jack asses judge us, and let moderators delete posts like this one defending them.

It's hilarious because whatever gets to use it is from Lummox's taste and where has the people who makes the decisions has gotten us so far. It's cute that things are being added. But truth be told Silk Wizard make big mula without this added stuff. Telling us that there's not gonna be a fix to failures. Lummox loves to please the people who lick his tip every-time he makes an update announcement but listening to these same people caused the site to go down hill rather than the popular games.

People are aware, of what's going on.

Seems like Lummox is just milking whatever he can before it dies. You know Lummox get's like 20%-30% equity of everything you make if it becomes an .exe these days?

Additionally, if you want your shit on steam they get a cut as-well.

Boosie explains BYOND accurately.

Even unity doesn't even ask for flat equity...