ID:2262750

Poll: Should BYOND try it's hand at Patreon?

Yes 76% (23)
No 13% (4)
Other 10% (3)

Login to vote.

As the title suggests, I feel Lummy should really consider opening up a Patreon for BYOND.

The reasoning is simple - with Patreon, you essentially get people to commit a portion of their paycheck on a monthly basis to help support the product. To me, this greatly outweighs the notion of depending on monthly donations as a significant portion of income. Mainly because, people will probably be more likely to give a small quantity of money on a per-month basis, then they are to say donate a bigger sum of money on a whim.

Of course, this to work, it'll take some effort from the BYOND Team [read: Lummox]. He'll need to design certain perks, and the tiers that come from making donations. Just to get the ball rolling, I'll put some ideas in.

Some Ideas
  • Make certain tiers of patronage able to have exclusive access to BYOND's beta versions.
  • Perhaps at a certain level, you have exclusive ability to put in a request - so long as it fails to be 'not feasible', and make it one of the priorities.
  • I don't know. Maybe the capacity to remove ads. Something of the sort.

Sound off below if you think BYOND could benefit from opening a Patreon. Of course, in the end it all comes down to the Boss Man. But figured I'd put the suggestion out there. I don't see why BYOND can't eventually make good money.
Tom actually suggested a Patreon page. Honestly I keep kicking myself for not getting around to it.
Also, tying membership into patreon would likely be a better option than the current solution. $2 a month hits more buttons than $24 a year.

At least then, we could justify that membership supports development (which it already does). For some reason having that integrated into a patreon campaign is more understandable than the current model. No clue why. It's the same thing minus Patreon's cut.
What Ter said. It's free advertisement for site views plus it's easier to justify a small monthly payment where you can "Setup and forgetaboutit" than it is to see the days rolling down and you're like, "Man... Do I put another $20 in my gas tank or buy membership... Nah, it can wait another month."

This is more appealing than the current setup:
$2 Tier = Membership.
+$2 Tier = Membership + More file-host bandwidth.
++$2 Tier = Membership, Bandwidth, Access to beta-builds before they launch.
+++Highest Tier = All + BYONDexe access for any published hub entry without needing key requested--again, "published".

In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Tom actually suggested a Patreon page. Honestly I keep kicking myself for not getting around to it.

JUST DO IT!

DOOOOOOOOOOOO IITTTTTTTTTT! MAKE YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE!

Shia LaBadActor really backfires in the encouragement department.
Patreon would take very minimal effort to start and maintain.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Shia LaBadActor really backfires in the encouragement department.

How's this for encouragement. He may be a bad actor, but he still gets paid.