ID:2277933

Resolved
Objects drawn within transformed plane masters obeyed the original map bounds rather than taking the plane transform into account, which resulted in unwanted clipping. The plane transformation is now obeyed, which allows for more effects.
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
(Most of this is going to be edited Ter13 comments* from the discord. I'm a bit out of my depth ;)

I'm attempting to use a plane master object to scroll through a menu system of screen objects that is quite a bit wider than client view. When I animate the plane master's transform, the objects on screen scroll along with it, however, it seems that anything off screen just gets cut off and not displayed.

*Currently, it looks like plane_master objects are naively assuming that they will not be transformed beyond the view boundaries. They should be applying the matrix transformation as a root transform to all objects during the draw, not after.

*The clipping region should reject any draws outside of the buffer by default anyway.
An inherent part of the problem here is that the plane master is a texture the size of the map.

For translational transforms on a plane master, it does seem that it'd be doable to simply adjust the bounds for its children, and remove the translation (leaving any remainders from rounding). That at least would solve your issue.

For rotational and scaling transforms, that's a much bigger problem.
The clipping region doesn't have to move/change. The plane_master's transform should be applied during rendering to the child objects, not after rendering.

If you are drawing to an offscreen texture, the clipping region of that texture should discard any writes outside of the render area.

Descriptive Problem Summary:

Objects sharing a plane with a scaled plane master experience odd position and occlusion updating.

The position of the objects relative to others on different planes slides as one would expect in a parallax background setup.

As well, objects at the edges of the view-able area are occluded.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:

create a plane master and scale it down. Create objects on the map with the same plane and move around, taking note of the edges of the client view.

Workarounds:

It's likely possible to update the planes transform to update the position properly in order to counteract the position (I actually don't want this as it's already doing what I intended to, but it's doing so incidentally rather than intentionally), and it's possible to decrease the window size to hide the portions of the map where objects are being occluded.

Test file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jpc37e9jf3wsxy8/testcase.zip?dl=0

In response to Bravo1
Which precise 512 build are you using? In Beta Bugs it's always critical to include the full version number.

Also I'm finding the animated .gif above isn't really helping much. I don't really know what I'm looking at or what's wrong. Can you clarify this a little more for me?
In response to Bravo1
The brite white tiles are appearing above the black letterboxing border for a few pixels when he moves such that they are out of view.

He hinted to some positioning bug as well but i'm as lost as you are.
In response to Bravo1
oh wait I see it. the brite white objects are moving at a different rate as the dim white ones are. if you watch you'll see it.

Reproduction steps are likely to just scale up a plane master (do it more then he did, like 200%, so the behavior is really pronounced), then add objects to the world with that plane.

So he has a scaled up (transformed) planemaster and the objects are moving in world in the same scaled up rate when the mob moves arround.

Can I make a request lummox? Can you find a way to allow us to keep that bugged behavior (optionally)? I actually know of a really good use for it for /tg/.
In response to Bravo1
So he has a scaled up (transformed) planemaster and the objects are moving in world in the same scaled up rate when the mob moves arround.

Close,

The Dim areas are scaled down (0.95) which causes them to move at a faster rate that the lighter tiles, even though the only scrolling going on is BYOND's built in scrolling. As well, the darker tiles are getting clipped earlier than they should be, causing them to disappear earlier than the white tiles, even though they aren't yet at the edge of the map.

The version is 512.1397(latest)

I was using that one to make sure I didn't have an outdated one, but I'm unsure how far back the issue goes. It's possible it occurred when plane masters were first added.

Can I make a request lummox? Can you find a way to allow us to keep that bugged behavior (optionally)? I actually know of a really good use for it for /tg/.

Agreed on this as well, it's bugged, but it's actually a feature I was looking to implement as it allows for a nice parallax background effect. If the tiles are shrunk down, and then moved at a slightly faster pace in order to stay aligned, then you get the effect seen in games like Steamworld Dig 2 (which looks really good).

That being said, if the bug is fixed, it's enough to get it working manually as a feature. The biggest issue for me is the clipping, where the edges of the tiles are being cut off earlier than the edge of the map area.

I agree it's tough to see out-right, but check out the included test case and it should be easier to see the issue.

My guess as to the issue here, at least with the clipping, is that since plane master gets all the stuff on the same plane to draw on a surface the size of the screen, shrinking that surface isn't currently accounted for, so the "edges" where display processing would normally end are still there, even though scaling it down (smaller) should show more (as if zooming out).
In response to Bravo1
http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=2277933

These are the same bug/feature request.
In response to Ter13
I was wondering if that might be the case.

In your response on that thread, you mentioned that the clipping should be done at the end by simply applying all transforms individually on the plane. With transforms alone and when no rotation or scaling is going on, that's not a problem; the plane's transform can be taken out of the equation and given to everything beneath it, at least when rounded off to the nearest pixel. Where other transforms mix in, that's where things get sloppy.

For instance if a plane master is rotated 30° and then transformed, if those transforms were given to individual objects and you did a slow animation, you'd probably see a "crawling" effect. Without scaling or rotation in play, just trsnaforming every tile by partial pixels would potentially cause a crawling effect too.

Plus, filters are applied before the plane master's transform, which would impact them as well.

I suspect the only truly viable solution here is to recalculate a plane master's true bounds based on its transform, and enlarge/move the surface as needed.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:

Ah, nuts. I was trying to search to make sure I didn't repeat a request but BYOND site search kept dying on me. Yes, that seems like the exact same issue though.

Lummox JR wrote:
I suspect the only truly viable solution here is to recalculate a plane master's true bounds based on its transform, and enlarge/move the surface as needed.

How difficult would this be to fix?
In response to Bravo1
I'm looking into making the change.

Under the hood, you also need to make sure your view is large enough to incorporate the background since you're scaling that down. There's a bit of overflow included in the drawing, but you still need to be aware of that.
In response to Bravo1
Bravo1 wrote:
Ter13 wrote:

Ah, nuts. I was trying to search to make sure I didn't repeat a request but BYOND site search kept dying on me. Yes, that seems like the exact same issue though.

Lummox JR wrote:

How difficult would this be to fix?

Don't worry. As long as the search doesn't work, I'll stick around as the central suprepository of all information BYOND-related.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
Objects drawn within transformed plane masters obeyed the original map bounds rather than taking the plane transform into account, which resulted in unwanted clipping. The plane transformation is now obeyed, which allows for more effects.
Whew. This one took some wrestling, but I finally subdued it.