ID:2280160

Applies to:DM Language

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
I'm working on a MUD-like game that makes clever use of BYOND's command expansions, often with "null|anything in proc()" as the argument type. The proc would return a list of acceptable targets/arguments, filtered from what's in the room.

The problem comes when the contents of the room or the status of those objects changes between the time the argument is entered and when the command is sent/received. Dream Seeker gives a generic/built-in error message that can be massaged with the verb's desc, but I would like to have greater control over that.

What I would like to see is a client proc like Command but for recognized verbs with bad arguments. It would not need to do more than pass along the command line, like Command does, and if defined would replace the default bad arg feedback.

(Sidenote: I've never worked with Command in a program that uses verbs and I kind of expected from the description it would do this.)
The bad argument message is all handled client-side, but in theory it seems like it'd be possible to define a proc to handle this, so that if the client were aware of it it could simply pass the partial command and info about what went wrong.