ID:2284318

I want to start a project with a 96 world icon size. But why don't I ever see games with this icon size? Is it a bad idea? If not, at what size DOES it turn into a bad idea? I'm assuming after a certain size it just becomes too heavy for DS (correct me if I'm wrong)

Edit: Any tips or pointers given before I embark on this 96x96 journey would be appreciated.
I don't see a problem with that, except the icons needing to be 96x96 .-. who has time to make icons that big. 8bit for days
This is a game with 256x256 or higher

https://goo.gl/UGyxxp
Was world.icon_size 256x256?
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:

I've never had problems with image size with map_format = TOPDOWN_MAP

Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYzMuwe6OCg&t=204s

But if it is bounds + big pictures. Can abuse I believe. Beware of fps. Because it can generate graphic-side lag
In response to Klogaum
Klogaum wrote:
Ter13 wrote:

I've never had problems with image size with map_format = TOPDOWN_MAP

I never changed icon_size's default value O.o.

Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYzMuwe6OCg&t=204s

Esta questão dizia respeito aos problemas de desempenho de mudar world.icon_size. Não era sobre imagens grandes.
Skayr wrote:
I want to start a project with a 96 world icon size. But why don't I ever see games with this icon size? Is it a bad idea? If not, at what size DOES it turn into a bad idea? I'm assuming after a certain size it just becomes too heavy for DS (correct me if I'm wrong)

Edit: Any tips or pointers given before I embark on this 96x96 journey would be appreciated.

I've done 96x96 for my card game, Manastorm. It didn't perform badly, but I also wasn't doing a very large world, and the actual viewport was largely static with the exception of cards moving on and off the board.

SS13 folks have mentioned that performance with 64x64 tile size is pretty sluggish compared to 32x32. Honestly 96x96 doesn't sound too crazy, but you are entering largely unexplored territory with no good reason to think it'll go at all well.
oh snap, I was planning on having my next game use 64x64 graphics. I probably won't now that I hear its sluggish.
Yeah I'm good LOL. Thanks guys, feel free to close the thread.
is the performance with 64x64 graphics really sluggish? ;-; I'd rather use 64x64 graphics than 32x32 ones for something I'm working on
In response to MartialArtistAbu
I do not know, if it is, the CPU will always be a bit higher, but as long as it does not exceed 100% tick_lag time, it will not have lag on account of the processor
I did not know this :3
would 48x48 icon size work ok for a BYOND game? Or does it have to be a value that's dividable by 32?
Yes it works.
In response to Klogaum
I absolutely love how from 2:43 and on in that video, is just totally black. That means a little under two-thirds of that video is just someone (somehow) forgetting to stop the recording.