Everheart

by Gambrinus
A text-based MUD with modern MMO elements
ID:2288497

I haven't posted a developer update in a while. Originally, my goal was to have the game ready for alpha testing by the end of August. I am on target for that goal in terms of game systems, but I am behind schedule on game content. I will likely organize some closed tests within the next couple weeks with limited game content. There might only be 5 or 6 levels worth of questing and content, but at least we'll be able to start testing some of the game systems.

I've been working hard to get his game out. Here are some of the things recently implemented.
* Quest system with soft-coded and hard-coded quest types.
* In-game mail
* Chat channels
* Combat
* Spells & ability systems
* Cooldowns & spell effects
* Fighter, Spellcaster, Rogue, and Cleric classes
* Guild/sub-class system
* Instances - rooms that instanced to the player. Other players will not be able to enter the same instance unless grouped with the player.
* Phasing - A system that allows rooms to be loaded/unloaded depending on quest progress. Character progression changes the way players perceive the world.
* Random Loot - Loot drops are designed to feel like roguelike games.
* Party System, including the following loot systems: Need before greed, random, free for all, and manual assign
* Spam/language filters
* Robust online editor. All game content can be created online. A built-in script editor allows builders to create interesting quests, mobs, rooms, and objects in java-like language. Compiles down to an in-game virtual machine.

Implemented a fully functional quest log today. Next step is to create the telnet version of the quest log. Everheart may be connected to via DreamSeeker or a Telnet client. As a result, all of the fancy interfaces in the game have a text-based version that functions equally well.

The above graphic is created dynamically in a browser window. It's basically just a bunch of layered divs with transparent pngs. It is put together on the client-side with javascript. It isn't fully implemented yet, but its purpose is to help make the game more immersive by giving the player a quick indication of the time and environment. It pulls information from the room, atmosphere, and calendar.
This is so damn cool.
In response to Manio
Manio wrote:
This is so damn cool.

Thanks Manio! I don't get on here and post very often, but I've been following your kaiju project. Very interesting concept! Can't wait to try it.
In response to Gambrinus
Thanks as well!
So, what does the Dantom ring do? :P Looking forward to this a lot.
It gives an XP gain boost to BYOND members =).
They're bundled into the resource and sent when the user logs in. Javascript/CSS renders them in the browser, so no actual files are transferring or streaming when the environment changes.