ID:2288774

Somebody at work asked me if I'd ever played Dwarf Fortress, which made me want to download it again. See you all in about a month...
resist the urge, grandpa.
Flick wrote:
Somebody at work asked me if I'd ever played Dwarf Fortress, which made me want to download it again. See you all in about a month...

Maybe wait till the artifact arc is finished, because after that the game is gonna get really interesting. (Not that it isn't now, of course.) I can't wait to see what it's like when I can send squads on missions off the map.
Do you guys use visual mods? I've been wanting to try the game, but I'm not entirely keen on playing with ASCII art.
Both. Sometimes ASCII, sometimes Phoebus' graphics pack. I don't use any of the iso/3d tools though. Well, if I make something I like, I might load it up and take a look at it, but in general, no.
Whats dwarf fortress?
It's FUN!
It's a hyper complex dwarf life simulation with a REALLY steep learning curve and a UI from hell. Create industries, trade with civilizations, build a military, defend your fortress, build a mega-structure, or just flood the world with lava.

Or a solo adventure/rpg game where you can travel an enormous world saving or enslaving populations, battle bandits, goblin fortresses, wizards, necromancers, lycanthropes, and mythical beasts.

Or a detailed world simulator, creating multiple civilizations with hundreds of years of history, entities, geographic features, climates/biomes, religions, languages, arts, music, etc.

Or all of the above. If there is an excessively detailed way to do something, this game probably does it. Except winning. There is no 'win'.
In response to Flick
Flick wrote:
Both. Sometimes ASCII, sometimes Phoebus' graphics pack. I don't use any of the iso/3d tools though. Well, if I make something I like, I might load it up and take a look at it, but in general, no.

Has the Phoebus pack been updated? Last I looked it hadn't.
In response to Lummox JR
He hasn't updated in years, but I guess it's community supported at this point. I just downloaded the Lazy Newb Pack and it's in there. Working fine with 0.43.05.
o...