ID:2296439

Last week I said I was closing in on a 512 release, but I had run into some snags that needed fixing. It's a good thing I fixed those snags, because in so doing I found a few more things that needed fixing or documenting at the last minute, and also a couple more features I could add.

Images now support the new vis_contents var. I struggled with whether I should add that, but at the end of the day it seemed like a really good idea. I wish I had some idea of how to handle useful things like possibly putting all the items in visual_contents on a lower plane or layer, but so far I don't so that might have to be a future refinement.

Read-only string indexing was not in place yet, and that was something I threw in, but it isn't documented yet. I'm on the fence as to whether I'll document it or not.

I'm also laying some groundwork for DLC, by updating some internal procs to handle it. That will ultimately require some hub and site changes, but I'd like the internals to be there anyway. This looks to be set after some testing, but there won't be any documentation for it till the rest is ready to go.

Last-minute, I'm wondering if I should add a ref() proc (there's a feature request for that) that will act like the \ref macro except that it won't ever use the object's tag. If I do I should probably do it before the first beta. The new byond_build var obviates some of the problems of needing to wait for a new major version to add features, but not all of them.

Basically though, I'm so close on this that I'm expecting that a 512 beta release can go forward as soon as Monday.

If you haven't become a BYOND Member yet, please consider doing so. There are a few perks, but the biggest thing is that your contribution helps support BYOND and keep it going. And a big thanks to everyone who has already become a Member or donated recently. Summer officially ends tomorrow as far as the pedants are concerned--really we all know it's over after Labor Day--so now's the time to hunker down and get moving on your cool new games! Next week you'll have a lot of awesome new features to play around with.
Lummox JR wrote:
Last week I said I was closing in on a 512 release, but I had run into some snags that needed fixing.

Basically though, I'm so close on this that I'm expecting that a 512 beta release can go forward as soon as Monday.

Monday