ID:2301523

Applies to:DM Language

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Add a var to the appearances called plane_shift that causes any overlays/visual contents to shift planes by the specified amount.

Alternmatively have an assoc list where specific old planes are remapped to new planes. For example if I wanted stuff on plane 7 to now be on plane 6 I'd do list("7" = 6)
Uh... why?
Let's say you have 2 planes: A "normal stuff" plane and a lighting plane. Then you decide "Hey, let's have multiple z-levels using the fancy new visual_contents feature!" But soon you realize there's no way to get the lighting effects for the stuff below to be seperate from the lighting effects on the current level and now everything looks funky and fuuuuuuuuuck
The plane shifting idea sounds rather intriguing, like a delta. I'm not sure I'm in love with it, but I agree there needs to be some way of overriding the plane for objects in visual contents so I think any brainstorming on that is good.
Since it seems this problem hasn't been solved, I have another solution that could work better than the one I proposed above.

Add a vis_plane var, and have it so that if you set it to a value other than FLOAT_PLANE, it *only* displays stuff on the same plane as vis_plane and then actually displays that on plane