ID:2304766

Poll: Are you a Final Fantasy fan? If so, does a FF mash-up (via DM) intrigue you?

Yes - I'd be all over a FF mash-up. 53% (7)
Yes - but not a BYOND imitation of it. 15% (2)
No, couldn't get into FF. 0% (0)
No, never got around to trying it. 23% (3)
What's a FF? 7% (1)

Login to vote.

I am presently at a cross-roads as to whether continuing development is worth it or not. Some might call it a FF-inspired game, some a parody. Regardless, I will have original story/quests, equipment, some great original ideas, gameplay elements, even GUI elements, and ofc game title..with the exception of trying to induce nostalgia with the stronger/safer options; FF-themed audio I'd be creating myself, some of the widely known cities/dungeons, and some nameless yet blatantly obvious characters from the series.

Feel like I don't have many fellow fans that are willing to play a 2D game. Help me decide by voting please, input is welcome - unless it's to tell me to make something original. That's plan B
This has been done, and CnD'ed
In response to Avidanimefan
Avidanimefan wrote:
This has been done, and CnD'ed

Original content and inspiration from another game is not something a copyright holder can send a cease and desist over.

What OP is doing is totally legal if he doesn't take anything from that copyright..

I'd say go for it, we've had our fair share of FF games and Dragon Quest games in the past, which were popular.

Hell even Silkwizards Nestalgia was a Dragon Quest game in the beginning I believe.
In response to A.T.H.K
If he actually uses Final fantasy characters, or places from the final fantasy universe that is copyright infringement.

Which, from what I gathered about the post, he aims to do.

In response to Avidanimefan
I think he was saying that he was planning to take heavy inspiration from those cities and characters to the point where he's tiptoeing very close to the line, but (hopefully) not crossing it.

As for the topic itself, I like turn based combat and it's a format well suited to BYOND's strengths. I'd say go for it. :)