ID:2329982

(See the best response by Ter13.)
I'm no pro, or wiz at coding.....I'm probably the worst person to ask for coding tips, and today I (Retro_Maker) need some sort of assistance on coding. I've searched videos, forums, and even tried reading the (F1 Help) thing Dream Maker provides and it wasn't no help at all to me. All I know is how to define turfs, make maps, make crap verbs, and that is pretty useless for games development if the player has nothing to do. I came here to ask "how do/how would you insert a tree into a game. Would you use it as a object or turf or something else completely and why....

P.S. Please Make DM(Dream Maker) user friendly or try to make a VERY detailed tutorial about coding on Byond (Cause im dumb)....I believe in the Byond community.

P.P.S //* These things suk*//
First of all, there's plenty of youtube videos about how to get started using Dream Maker.

Second of all, without knowing what tools are available to you (ie the built-in procs and vars), you won't be able to utilize Dream Maker to it's fullest. There's also plenty of demos/libraries available to you on this website that extend and/or simplify the capabilities of Dream Maker.

And lastly, it seems to me that you lack basic programming experience, and thus are stuck at an impasse. This impasse being you wanting to make a game, without actually having appropriate skills to do so.

Lucky for you, this website and its software does a TON of the work for you, and is at least a decently low learning curve by comparison to other software suites, IDE's, etc.

As a final note, if you know how to "define turfs" then you already know how "define objs" and "define mobs." It's all the same structure/syntax. To actually add it visually to your game, you need to populate a map file (.dmm file) that you create within Dream Maker the same way you add new icons files (.dmi) and code files (.dm). The map is where the actual content of your game should be visually built. It's not difficult to do, but can be tedious depending on the size/scope of the game you are trying to make.

My recommendation is to start with small projects (like Simon Says or whatever). Then gradually work your way up to larger scale projects. This way you don't suffer from what 99% of the rest of us developers suffer from - 10,000:1 games unfinished before releasing a fully built game.
An object should only be something the player can interact with in some way. Do what you will with that information.
Best response
Would you use it as a object or turf or something else completely and why....

http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1999512#comment17777338

I made a flow chart for this exact question.
There are tons of free tutorials here on the forums. If you look around, I promise you you will find what you need.

turf
grass
icon = 'grass.dmi'
tree
icon = 'tree.dmi'
density = TRUE // You cannot walk through trees
verb
chop()
set src in view(1) // You must be nearby to chop me
new/obj/log(src) // Drop a log on my location
usr << "You chop down the tree!"
new/turf/grass(src) // Replace me with grass